1979-D SBA dollar close AM variety?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Norman Asis, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Norman Asis

Norman Asis Active Member

Good evening everyone! It's been awhile since my last post.
    Anyway, just a quick question. I was looking at my SBA coins earlier today just to sort which ones to keep and which ones to spend. I just happened to look at the reverse and looked at the spacing of the AM in the word America ( was watching youtube on close and wide am on pennies). I noticed that out of the 24 79-D coins 3 of them has a close AM. I researched a bit, all I can find are the well known variteies such as wide rim, the type2 S etch.
    So decided to run it by you guys and maybe get some insights.
    I do have some thoughts on it, one probably was due to deterioration which caused the 2 letters to touch. Two, I need a better loupe. Three, don't have a third one yet.
    I took some pics.
    First is the 79-D with the regular AM. It was the same with the S and P mintmark. The images after that are of the 3 coins with the close AM. I think one of coin actually had the letters touching.

IMG_20171118_151710397.jpg

IMG_20171118_151209135_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20171118_151538083_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20171118_151907663_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

My vote is die deterioration, but your images through the loupe are a tad too blurry for me to be sure.

Chris

4. Norman Asis

Norman Asis Active Member

I think you're right. I'll try to upload a better pic. Thanks

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting.. But the Close AM and Wide AM variety only applies to Cents (Pennies)

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought on the SBA it was 1979-P narrow rim vs wide rim, (far date vs near date). Unaware of a close AM but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
    I believe the Wide rim, near date is the desirable variety.
    1979-narrow-rim-vs-wide-rim-susan-b-anthony-dollar.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted