1979 D Cent RPM?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dchjr, Mar 28, 2017.

1. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Lots of PMD, but the notch a the bottom left looks like the typical indication of an RPM.
    1979 D Cent RPM (3).jpg 1979 D Cent RPM (5).jpg 1979 D Cent RPM (6).jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Nice find, don't see any listings that match exactly. Possible new variety. Fingers crossed

CREATIVECRHUNTER and dchjr like this.
  4. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Thanks. I didn't see any listings like this either.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It definitely has potential.

Chris

CREATIVECRHUNTER and dchjr like this.
  6. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

I haven't sent it for verification, but since this first post I've found another 4. That seems like a lot. Could this be from a damaged mint mark used on various dies? or something other than an RPM? Also, the placement doesn't look the same on all the coins which would mean it's not the same die for all samples.
    1979 D RPMS.jpg 1979 D RPMS (8).jpg 1979 D RPMS (2).jpg 1979 D RPMS (3).jpg 1979 D RPMS (5).jpg 1979 D RPMS (7).jpg 1979 D RPMS (6).jpg 1979 D RPMS (4).jpg

CREATIVECRHUNTER likes this.
  7. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Good thing that D was filled or it might not of caught your eye. Solid find!

8. Barbermania

Barbermania Active Member

If your mint is filled in does the value doesn't raise the value of the coin

9. Barbermania

Does the value of your coin increase because your mint is filled in

10. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

No it doesn't.

11. Barbermania

Thank you for your reply does the mint being filled in constitute as your coin being an error and if so what type of error?

12. Barbermania

Thank you for your reply I appreciate it now secondly does your mint being filled in constitute your coin as being an error coin and if so what type of error is it

13. Barbermania

thank you for your reply one more thing does your mint being filled in constitute your client as being an error and if so what kind

14. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

The part of the die that was the hollow center of the D mintmark broke out of the Obverse die of the die set that minted this coin. This caused the coin metal to fill the area that is missing when the coin was struck at the mint. You will find any letter or number with a closed loop can be found to be filled. The funny double corner of the D now that’s another matter indeed! Hope this helps.
    Reed

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    yartiques, CREATIVECRHUNTER and dchjr like this.
  15. CREATIVECRHUNTER

CREATIVECRHUNTER Well-Known Member

D over D (D/D), I'm thinking.

352sdeer likes this.
  16. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

I think my question here was missed. I'm inclined to think this is NOT a RPM, but maybe a damaged MM punch? Maybe some help from more informed members, @cpm9ball @paddyman98 or @Fred Weinberg ?? Thanks. :)

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If it had been a damaged punch, then every coin produced using this die would be the same, and that could be thousands of coins. To me, the positions don't look all that different. I'm inclined to think that the coins were from the same die that has an RPM. May I suggest that you examine the obverse of all of the coins very carefully to see if there is a marker that could link them all together.

Chris

18. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll do some more examinations.

19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A Die Chip.. No value
    But I am seeing just a damaged Mint Mark on your Cent :yack:

352sdeer likes this.
  20. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

The same damage on 4 different coins. Do we have a coin doctor?

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Draft saved Draft deleted