1978 unusal struck thru late stage die cap

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rascal, Mar 18, 2020.

1. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Here is another one of my coins that created a lot of confusion on here . It may have been because of my poor photos . the coin is so unusal that a lot of members said it could not be a real mint error. I knew it was a real mint error and kept it. I sent it off for authentication and the expert examiner said it was a real mint error. He attributed it as struck thru late stage die cap where the cap was moving out of the centered position. This shows that no matter how old we get there are still some things we can learn from. 90221064_228313718357876_6535050537686007808_n.jpg 90069849_1268045660060903_7048371680145571840_n.jpg 90044547_594094604781435_2785743967466029056_n.jpg 90221064_228313718357876_6535050537686007808_n.jpg 90069849_1268045660060903_7048371680145571840_n.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Show us the authentication.

also, take the picture from directly overhead.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

What "expert" said it was struck through a late-stage die cap?

5. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Sorry but this is the best I can possibly do with the photos. I'm just getting too old to learn much about this new electronics.Because we all were in a squabble on here about whether this coin was a true mint error when the error expert was looking at it I kinda promised him to keep him out of it so I will not get him involved right now. I'm just showing the coin again so people can enjoy the photos and may learn from it. Almost everyone that seen this coin back a few years ago knows who examined the coin for me.

6. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Without the expert's name or some form of authentication your photos are too blurry to see much. Send it in to a major TPG to remove any doubts about your claim.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:banghead:

atcarroll, tommyc03 and David Betts like this.
  8. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I'm not going to pay close to 100.00 to get a 10.00 coin slabbed when I already know what it is. I totally agree with the expert on this one. I should have known what it was before I sent it to him . But the darn thing was confusing because of the way it looks. It is so simple for me to understand now after the experts help. The coin is near mint with all of it's original mint luster being undisturbed . If it had not been I know it would have went to the junk coin pile.

9. furryfrog02

"the expert" clearly is not.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Where is the slab? you have shown a raw coin here.

11. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Who are you calling the expert? This coin is so simple to identify and my photos are better this time it should not take a expert to see it is a true mint error.

12. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

It does not bother me whatever what you think , I just put it on here for others to see and maybe learn from.

Diogenes Diaz likes this.
  13. furryfrog02

You are the one talking about some "mysterious" expert who you refuse to name.
    Your pictures are better. But all that does is show for sure that what you have is a damaged coin and NOT a struck through late stage die cap. You have much to learn, padawan.

14. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

i didn't get on here to put up with ignorant replies trying to down me so I will not be replying to any more replies like this. The way I see it is if someone wants to act like a real error expert and try to identify coins for others then they should try to learn all they can first and treat everyone good . Sometimes beginning collectors get's on here and other members should treat them good. As for me i am a senior citizen and have spent over 40 some years collecting and studying error coins . So sometimes I do know a little about coins. LOL

15. furryfrog02

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes.. Just a little. :hilarious:

furryfrog02 likes this.
  17. Pickin and Grinin

@rascal What we do around here is try to help identify coins. And we see a lot of coins daily, they fit into 4 category's: Error, Variety, Damage and Altered, yours fits into the altered variety.
    If you want to prove your point that the coin is in fact what you or the expert says it is. We are willing to here the argument. You have failed to give us the evidence and that is the photos (proof).

I am always game for a free education.
    The pictures are your proof!

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  18. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I'm just sitting here trying to imagine how many really expensive error coins a certain few of you on here has caused to get destroyed or thrown away. I know a few years ago when I was on here Mike Diamond would come along every now and then and set some of you straight. You all needs to understand that a image of a coin does not look exactly like having the coin in hand and stop down shooting things without taking more time to examine the images. It's like the first one get's the prize.

19. Pickin and Grinin

Then provide your proof of your coin. I understand where you are coming from and you have hit on a point that is fact around here, if one of the knowledgeable ones correct you their becomes a discussion about why from each's point of view.
    You won't tell us your expert, nor your opinion why?
    Remember photos are king around here and you still haven't showed us that supposed slab this coin is in.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Can you show us the coin after it was graded? I'd like to see what the expert examiner specifically said about it. I've never seen a coin like this and it would help me understand.

Martha Lynn and rascal like this.
  21. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

The coin has never been slabbed and graded and I don't know where picking and grinin came up with that. I sure never said it was . I could easily have it slabbed by any TPG company out there because it has been confirmed by a highly known and respected error expert but it probably would cost more than what the coin is worth. You can see the exact words the expert said about this coin by reading my first post on here. Good luck in your coin collecting.

Draft saved Draft deleted