1978 Quarter. I have never seen this on a modern US reeded edge

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Orlandough, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Orlandough

Orlandough New Member

Hello all. I have recently started to go through some of my coins. This particular 1978 quarter I have had soo long since I found it I forgot I had it. I have never seen a reeded edge of a modern US quarter look like this.

The quarter is like this all the way around the circumference of it's edge. The center of the edge is depressed or lower than the silver edges on the outside. The inner recessed portion appears to be full of decades of gunk but you can see the reeded edging and the reeded edging of the silver is mushed over from similar amounts of decades of use I am assuming??
    Would someone be able to shed some light as to what it is and/or what it is called? It just seems so odd. Thanks again for any help or ideas.

1978 Qua edge.jpg 1978 Qua face.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Storage in an acidic environment will do that. Copper is softer than nickel, so the acid will dissolve the copper faster than the nickel.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Agreed! Yes, acid will cause this. Over the years, we have had dozens of examples of reeded coins similar to this posted on these forums.

By the way, this is a clad (CuNi) quarter. There is no silver in it.

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Orlandough

Orlandough New Member

Thank-you for your replies :) Helps bunches!

Draft saved Draft deleted