1978 Penny Is this DDR?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Brandi Wilson, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson ... a kid at heart

Is this double die or Machine doubling please? I'm still having so much trouble telling the difference especially since all I have ever found is a machine doubled. It's hard to look at the pictures of the two types and then tell if you have a Double Die if your not at all experienced. I want to learn though. 20200223_174659~2.jpg 20200223_174723~2.jpg 20200223_174458~2.jpg 20200223_174348~2.jpg 20200223_175451.jpg 20200223_175456~2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

It’s kinda hard to tell exactly by the pictures but it looks like DDD, die deterioration doubling. Maybe MD, the pics are to blurry for me to tell exactly. It’s doesn’t look like a doubled die.
    http://doubleddie.com/144801.html

Kevin Mader likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Kevin Mader likes this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

There are EIGHT classes of Doubled Die. Then there's the worthless stuff such as Mechanical Doubling, Ejection Doubling, Die deterioration Doubling.

If you don't know the difference between them it's going to be difficult to know if you have a DD based on class 1, 2, 3 .... or class 8.

Those classes are the Methods of how the doubled die was created and not the different DD types in those Classes. For instance with Class 8 there are .. who knows .. hundreds of various different DD cents types out there.

Where as Mechanical Doubling, Ejection Doubling, Die deterioration Doubling etc are just manufacturing defects where the "low" quality is acceptable and allowed as the main reason for coinage is for commerce and the coins have to be visually identifiable as money. High quality coins such as Proofs, etc are minted for their "high" quality specifically for collectors.

6. Handyman

Handyman Well-Known Member

I second DDD.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

DDD to me as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted