1978 National Medal

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cpm9ball, Aug 23, 2010.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I have this medal which was authorized by Congress and struck at the US Mint on behalf of the US Capitol Historical Society. It was struck in silver with a plain edge and is 38mm in diameter. The obverse portrays George Washington standing at Valley Forge leaning on his sword. The reverse depicts the York Court House which served as the nation's first "Capitol building" where the Constitution was drafted.

According to the booklet that accompanies the medal, it was supposed to be the first of a 13-year series of national medals commemorating important documents, historic events and personalities that enabled us to become the United States.

I've searched the internet, and I can't find any more information about this series. I even checked the US Capitol Historical Society website, and the only medal that they show relating to this is a 3" bronze medal of the identical design. Does anyone know if this 13-year program was ever completed? Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

A picture would help somebody figure this out! You should know this. Lol!

4. cpm9ball

The lamp I use for my photos died (short), but the medal itself is not the important part. It's the background information that I need.

Chris

5. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't think they did. If it was to last for 13 years it would have lasted until 1991. I check the mints list of official mint medals produced in 1984 and in 1989 and I find no listing for any such series, and nothing in that size that would seem to fit the series you describe. There is a National Historic series of medals but most of them are just of contemporary people and the sizes vary. Only five come in the 1 1/2 inch size (38 mm), and none of them come in both 1 1/2 and 3 inch.

Are you sure they were struck by the US Mint?

I took a look at the Societies website and they do picture five different medals from that time period. They all show vastly different styling . Nothing like I would expect from a series. It looks like they may have just picked a different artist each year with no attempt at consistancy. None of them are listed in the Mints official medal lists.

7. cpm9ball

I came up with the same info as you, but nothing that would indicate that other medals were struck in the ensuing years. I saw the same medals on the USCHS, but none that even vaguely resembled this one. As soon as I get some replacement lighting, I'll take some photos.

FYI
    While researching this, I got a "hit" on an eBay listing for the 3" bronze medal. The seller said that it was from his father's collection, and his opening bid was $49.99. So, I sent him a polite "question" about it. "Did you know that the US Capitol Historical Society has this very same medal listed for sale at $24.99 on their website?" His reply? "Thanks!" I think I could hear him gnashing his teeth at that very moment. LOL!

Chris

8. cpm9ball

Okay, I've gotten my lighting problem solved. So, for any of you who wanted to see what this medal looks like, here it is. I neglected to mention that it is a proof medal. As you can see, it has some tarnish and haze on it because the Mint did not use a protective disc in the presentation case like they do now. Fortunately, I have several coins that I will be sending to NCS for conservation, so this will go aling with them.

Chris

Attached Files:

9. cpm9ball

Well, I was able to get some more information about this series of national medals from the USCHS, but judging from the initial responses, I think I'll just keep it to myself.

Chris

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Too late, you already posted it on the NGC Board.

11. cpm9ball

You weren't factored into the equation because of that.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted