1978 Filled D Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evorlor, May 15, 2010.

1. Evorlor

Evorlor Member

Started a new thread because I destroyed my first one with trying to figure out how to post pictures...

This 1978 D Quarter has a solid D. It is filled and does not appear to be from regular wear. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I believe this is common - I don't look a lot, but I have seen several with the mint mark just being a blob almost. Usually from wear.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Die chip the center spike in the die that formed the depression in the center of the D on the coin has broken off. Not uncommon.

5. panda

panda Junior Member

i have a ton of coins that, have a filled D. from cents to quarters. its pretty common.

i have a D that somehow got stretched. i am going to try and use the search, before i make a thread though.

Jimmie Trahan likes this.
  6. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

You can't really tell that from the images posted by the OP.

7. Evorlor

Evorlor Member

sorry about that...with the equipment i have, its the best i could do

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sure you can. Frankly the statement that it is filled due to wear is nonsense. I have never seen a D mintmark whose center was filled in so that it was just a lump because of wear. I have seen coins worn down to Good or less and the mintmark is still clearly the letter it was intended to be. Since typically the center depression of the D extends al the way down to the level of the field, you would have to wear the mintmark away almost completely to render it a "lump"

9. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

i've got one just like this the D is a blob any clues on whether it's worth anything?

10. Esther FLAMENCO

Esther FLAMENCO New Member

I also have one 1978 quarter just like the picture. I was also wondering if this coin has any value

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood. You do realize that this thread is almost 7 years old, don't you? A filled letter like this, whether it is a mintmark or any other letter, is very common and is not worth a premium over face value except to a bidiot.

Chris

12. Pyper

Pyper New Member

They can actually be worth quite a bit. I saw one worth $7,500, but you can never be sure of the value until you find an expert.

13. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Do you have a link to this sale? Until then.............:(

14. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Welcome to CT. Could you please elaborate on your statement. Quite often coins are advertised for sale by people with low knowledge and high expectations. Another reason could be that the coin already has an intrinsically high value but also has a filled D. The downside to this of course, is that a high value coin with a die chip will be seen by some serious collectors as defective.

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Welcome to the forum. I got one at half that price for you if you're interested.

SensibleSal66 and LakeEffect like this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Mumbles, mumbles.......13 year old thread......

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

But question was yesterday. ;)

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I really want to sell mine if he wants it. I'm willing to negotiate.

19. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I'm betting you saw it on Etsy.

green18 likes this.
  20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The mint mark in the original post from 13 years ago was from a worn die snd circulation. It also looks like it has a die chip on the inside of the D. Very common and only worth face value.

Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted