1978 Dime With Cat Scratch Fever

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Double Die, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Plucked this one fresh right out of a Mint Set.

1978 Roosevelt that looks like it has been used as a scratching post. I'm thinking that these scratches were on the planchet before it was struck? These are %100 continuous with no breaks in any of these lines at any of the raised areas.

If anyone else has any ideas as to how these came about, I'd like to hear your side.

2018-04-25 08.45.31.jpg 2018-04-25 08.48.14.jpg 2018-04-25 08.46.36.jpg 2018-04-25 08.46.19.jpg 2018-04-25 08.47.26.jpg 2018-04-25 08.47.05.jpg

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Ask the Cat !!! :cat:

4. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

I don't think this is from the planchet being scratched. Even if it was, the scratches would be struck away during the minting process pushing the metal into the die recessed areas. This is most likely post minting damage.

Spark1951 likes this.
  5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Just regular PMD scratches.

I would think that residual planchet marks would be in weakly struck areas. Some of the scratches are in the field which should have been obliterated during striking.

Almost looks like there is displaced metal on the heavy scratch over the portrait.

BTW: Nice pics

6. Double Die

I thought of that after I posted knowing someone would likely point that out. However, since the scratches do not deviate or lift at any of the raised areas, and this was taken right out of a mint set just before taking the pics, where would it receive the PMD? Are these sent off site to be packaged as mint sets or is that done on site as they come off the presses? I've never looked into the specifics of the packaging process. I guess I should study up on that?

7. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Well now I'm not an expert on scratches but your coin appears to be a MAD, based on the pics someone with more knowledge would have to comment on the scratches happening doing the minting process. JMO
    Dave

8. Double Die

Yeah, really minor and barely worth mentioning but thanks for noticing. I only take notice when it splits the rim or affects lettering or the like.

9. RickO

RickO Active Member

Likely occurred during the packaging process....

10. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

1978 mint sets are in cellophane wrappers. It could be likely that the coin sustained the scratches while in the packaging.
    [​IMG]

11. Double Die

No evidence of foul play on the cello wrap. This is why I'm having difficulties accepting the PMD premise. As Adam Savage (Mythbusters) once said "I reject your reality and substitute my own".

12. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

I can see the light 'scratch' or whatever it is, on
    the rim of the coin, going thru the "JS" initials.

It wasn't struck like that, imo.

Spark1951 and Kentucky like this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, that's just poor quality control they'd sell you something like that. Tough luck. Call it a quality control issue in the handing of it.

Spark1951 likes this.
  14. Double Die

Maybe I'll just use it as my lucky scratch off coin for lottery tickets???

Spark1951 likes this.
  15. yartiques

yartiques Active Member

Does the word "striations" ring a bell for anyone on the first cent?

circoincol likes this.
  16. circoincol

circoincol New Member

First off, nice pics!

My first guess is that it's PMD, but that third pic (of the portrait facing upwards) sows some doubt on that. Several portions of the lines don't look consistent with scratches to me, as with the ones leading into the head and on the ear. I also can't quite tell if they are indented or raised.

yartiques brought up striations, caused by impurities and that too looks possible, and in many areas it looks likely.

Either way, it's likely that the lines are becoming more visible due to toning.

yartiques likes this.
  17. Double Die

Straight on they're visible but they really jump out at an angle.

Draft saved Draft deleted