1978 D Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by William Blanchard, Jun 8, 2016.

1. William Blanchard

William Blanchard New Member

20160608_125429.jpg Looking for any help on this. Found this penny in my change drawer at my store. I have placed a 1975 D penny next to it, and as you can see it is not made from copper. Has a gold and silver tones to it. Any thoughts? 20160608_125429.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Weigh both coins. They should be very close. I'm 98% sure your coin is plated.

4. William Blanchard

One is 3.3 and the 75 is 3.4. You are correct. Thank you

5. William Blanchard

Just strange because when you scratch the coin, it shows silver underneath.

6. Insider

YIKES! The next step was to tell you how to detect plating! In the future, NEVER scratch a coin as you will reduce its value if it actually is worth something!

7. William Blanchard

I did not scratch it but it has several small scratches in it that show silver. How do you detect plating if you don't mind sharing...

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's a normal Cent. If it were struck lets say on a blank Dime Planchet it would be smaller and lighter in weight.
    I also suspect it's plated.

9. Insider

Need close up of surface. I use a stereo microscope. Some sings to look for are:

1. Breaks in the plating showing original surface. Usually found on the coin's rim. One trick is to plate the coin AFTER it was scratched so it looks the way your coin does. In that case you can tell by the way the scratch looks.

2. Plating bubbles and pimples.

3. Look for marks on the coin that are plated over.

$. Sometimes Specific Gravity test works if the alloys are different. For example, silver and copper are very different. Nickel and copper are very close.

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

These tests are useful sometimes, but this one doesn't require them.
    It's zinc plated then heated, chemistry experiment.

How could it be an off metal? There's no planchets at the mint that size of a different metal.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

By the way the 1975 Cent you used to compare has a slight Obverse Misaligned Strike. Look at the slight Double Rim to the right of the date ;)
    Minor error
    1975.JPG

12. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

13. bobby degrasse12345

bobby degrasse12345 New Member

I have a 1978d penny that weighs 2.6gms. Do you know any thing about it?

14. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Welcome to CT. Start you own thread and include in focus images on both sides. You will get some answers this way because you have posted this on a 5 year old dead post

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted