1978 d misstruck dime

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by BriaRose, Apr 26, 2005.

1. BriaRose

BriaRose New Member

I came across a 1978 d Roosevelt dime that a friend who collects coins told me was 'mistruck'...
    I can't find anything on it, it's in excellent condition...any ideas where to look for info?

~BriaRose

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy BriaRose - Welcome to the Forum !!

I'm afraid we need more information as it depends on what your friend means by mis-struck. Can you post a pic of the coin ?

4. BriaRose

BriaRose New Member

thanks for responding so quickly!

i'm sorry...i just found it today, a couple hrs ago! i have no way to post a picture.

like i said, it seems in excellent condition, the head has very rough edges/shiny background/duller head. when you hold it and run your thumb over it, it almost feels like its caving in...the back seems like it doesn't have edges, almost flat...

he told me to go to the us mint, but i can't find anything there, and nothing in my search engines either

~BriaRose

5. BriaRose

BriaRose New Member

ps...thank you for your help!

~BriaRose

6. Dymaxion22

Dymaxion22 New Member

Probably best not to continue "running your thumb over it" or it will not be in excellent condition for too much longer!

Dymaxion

7. neet2948

neet2948 New Member

I found a 1991 dime that appears to be struck on a penny blank. its a "P" mint mark and is struck off center as well as being significantly thicker than a regular dime. If needed I'll try to get a good pic of it to post.

8. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

We need a good photo or scan for either of the coins in this post.....if the dime that looks like it was struck on a cent blank isn't the same color as a cent then the chances are that it isn't a cent blank.

Speedy

9. neet2948

neet2948 New Member

This is best i can come up with right now but i'll try in sunlight and see if i can get sharper image.

Attached Files:

10. Speedy

It could be missing the clad layer....could you get the weight?

Speedy

11. neet2948

neet2948 New Member

I dont have accurate scales but it seems to be just shy of two grams by medicine scales, but they cant read difference in weight between it and regular dime. If anything it appears to be a bit heavier than a regular dime.

12. Speedy

Take it to a jewelry store and ask for them to weight it.....I'm thinking that it might be plated now since you say its appears to be heavier.....

Speedy

13. neet2948

neet2948 New Member

i took one more that may show a bit better. I'll try jewelry store today though, thanks for help and I'll keep you posted what i find out.

Attached Files:

14. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

i may be wrong in saying this... but is it true that a missing clad layer coin shows less detail than a normal coin?

Draft saved Draft deleted