1978-D Lincoln Cent Nice Strike Through Obverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rick Stachowski, May 19, 2015.

1. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Cool, thanks a lot ..

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's not an exact, groove-for-grove match. Look at it, however. It's about the same width. The lines in it are about the same. Remember, it's a 1917-D. Whatever that is that struck your 1978-D, sure, it may be expected to have looked a little different 61 years before.

When identifying these struck-throughs, typically, they're "struck-through wire," "struck-through fiber," "struck-through debris," vague descriptions like that. You never hear what they were used for. Why were they at the Mint, what was their purpose? Nobody gets into that.

I'm showing this to suggest this thing that struck your coin is something that's been around in the Mint for quite some time, and has a pretty standardized shape and size. Think of this like a piece of the puzzle in trying to figure out what this is and what its purpose was. Why go to this extreme? Heck, it's cool to know.

044-1917D.jpg

4. Rick Stachowski

Nice old 1917 too, what do the tracks look like on the strike through ..

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I was thinking memorial but that would be a clash. Is some of the same strike thru under Lincolns chin?

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What you see is what you get, lol. I don't know what you mean. It's real worn, and yours is nice and crisp, but don't you think it's a little similar? It's around the same width with the same lines running through it.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, it looks like it. Or, if it's not a piece of the upper strike-through, it's pretty much aligned the same.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Could it be a lamination error planchet. Better to say is it some lamination that got stuck to the feeder.

9. Rick Stachowski

The garbage that made the strike through looks like track ..

10. coop

coop Senior Member

I've seen that before also:
    [​IMG]

eddiespin and Rick Stachowski like this.
  11. Rick Stachowski

Pretty easy to see the lamination error there Coop, you can see the tin & zinc coming through on the planchet . I don't see any other strike abnormality, other then the lamination peel ..

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That is lamination peel. I see it, clearly, now. On mine, look right above the nose, you can see the piece still hanging on. Thanks for forcing me to take a closer look and question that. I had it socked away as a struck-through for some twenty years.

Draft saved Draft deleted