1978-D Lincoln cent error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rad1964, May 5, 2009.

1. rad1964

rad1964 Senior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Well what I'm looking at on the 'D' could be a broken die and it is pretty common. Is it worth anything? No added value.

Almost forgot to WELCOME :hail: you to the forum.

4. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

Its probably just a die chip. Not worth any premium. Welcome to the forum!

91stang2 likes this.
  5. rad1964

rad1964 Senior Member

ahh hah

Ah thanks for the insight. Kind of what I thought, but always good to get a few more opinions! I just rediscovered my childhood coin collection. Alwways wanted to own a doubloon "pirate treasure" and finally got a Bolivia Potasi 8 Reales - woot! Good to be here.

rad1964

6. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Many look like that and it's not anything at all.

Many look like that and it's not anything at all.
    Keep searching and good luck!

7. Edinmem

Edinmem hobbyist

Your photo of the Lincoln cent was very nice ....now post a pic of the Bolivia Potasu 8 Reales

8. rad1964

rad1964 Senior Member

Thank you, I will try and shoot the 8 Reales in a few minutes. Take a look under the World & Ancient Coins section for a new post with Bolivian and Potosi ..

Mind you, its my first and I would have gladly accepted a worn slug :(
    But now that I have my Krause I am better prepared for a higher grade... someday.

{;-()> rad1964

9. just coins

just coins New Member

Just a flled D nothing of significance.
    JC

10. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

I pulled this quote off VAMworld

“Silver dollars are created by striking metal blanks with hardened dies containing the mirror image of the desired pattern. Through careful study, slight differences can be used to identify specific dies that created the coins. Sometimes these differences occur during the creation of the dies, while other times they are caused by the maintenance or use of the dies.”

This idea can be applied to all coins.

I know your coin isn’t a silver dollar, the error is common for Lincoln Cents and adds no premium dollar value. But the coin can be attributed to a specific working die with a good indicator as to die state. So from my perspective – premium dollar value – no – above average numismatic value – yes. It’s a keeper.

11. Marline

Marline New Member

Hi just found a 1978 penny w the word liberty wrongly spelled my penny said LIDERTY can you (EDIT) the answer for this I can also send you a picture (Edit - No personal contact information, other users can send a Private Message)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2015
  12. Randy59

Randy59 New Member

I'm just a novice, and not exactly sure what determines a coins value. My thoughts are, one mans junk is another mans treasure. Also, things (coins) are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Just my 2 cents :) Randy.

13. Randy59

Randy59 New Member

I'm wondering of anyone here can shed a little light on this. When I type "What makes a penny valuable" into my Google browser, the only thing that comes up is "Top most valuable pennies". Have all the missprints and errors been descovered? I'm an explorer, I want to find things that haven't been found yet.

14. Lisza

Lisza New Member

I have this 1978 D that is the exact same one but dose anyone know exactly the value of this?

15. Lisza

Lisza New Member

Altough the one i have is in much better condition

16. crc64error

crc64error New Member

It has slight difference and is worth slightly more than face value to someone. Hold on to it.

17. Adan Martinez

Adan Martinez New Member

I have 1975 threw 1978 D pennies how can I see if their worth anything I think their error coins I've looked up a few of them

18. Adan Martinez

Adan Martinez New Member

Would you like pics

19. Lenda

Lenda New Member

Hi everyone, Lenda here , I've been collecting for a few years now, I also found one of my coins with a blot of metal, 1950 wheat penny, not sure if it's a scarce one or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted