1978-D Eisenhower Dollar - Machine Doubling on Reverse?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ike Skywalker, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

I just discovered the anomaly on this Ike in my collection. Look at UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and the first U in PLURIBUS. Based on what I've read, including a particularly helpful illustration, it appears to be machine doubling to my eyes. I don't see any notches that are indicative of a doubled hub. Do you guys concur? It's a pretty cool and dramatic effect. Thanks.

IMG_0007.JPG

I've included the obverse as well because it appears that the Y in LIBERTY has this same effect.

IMG_0006.JPG

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Autoturf likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Flat and shelflike = MD. Also notice that there is no evidence of separate serifs. Your coin is a good example of MD and would be good to save/study as a reference

Ike Skywalker and tommyc03 like this.
  5. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

I intend to do just that. I really like this one.

6. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

Nice toning.

Ike Skywalker likes this.
  7. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

You are correct with your assessment, and you know what? I THANK YOU for accepting that self-diagnosis for the truth that it is.
    As a long term member, I'm sure you're aware of how many new members and visitors post very similar coins and then become upset when this same diagnosis is made for their coins.
    It is NOT the fault of any Coin Talk !! member that the majority of coins posted here-in by newbies and guests are simply damaged coins or contain worthless doubling.

Thank you again for your astute assessment and your calm acceptance of the same.

Heyyyy, make that lemonade !

Ike Skywalker and Autoturf like this.
  8. Rocky Marbry

Rocky Marbry New Member

I have one exactly like this 1977d totally awesome .

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted