1977 US Quarter with errors

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mbaird03, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Shawna White

Shawna White New Member

I also have a 1977 quarter the same as the other two above. Talk about the odds of that!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shawna White

Shawna White New Member

I have 1977 quarter the same also

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I would say that the probability of any specific person finding a 1977 dryer coin is low, but the chances of a quarter falling out of a pocket and getting lodged between the drum and wall of a dryer for an extended period of time isn't as low as you would think (look at the number of coins @paddyman98 posted in an earlier pic). When you consider the number of people who carry quarters in their pocket, and the number of people that do laundry, the number of times per week they do laundry, the hundreds of millions of quarter that are minted each year and the it's been 41 years since you coin was minted, it wouldn't seem unreasonable for numerous 1977 quarters to have this type of damage.

In addition, dryer coins tend to have raised rims and are smaller in diameter. I've seen many other quarters that only have the reeding worn smooth. Until recently vending machines, slot machines, payphones, and laundries relied on coins. Drop a quarter down a slot and its edge impacts another coin or metal component in the collection box. Do that enough times and the reeding along the edge wears down.

Based on that, I would estimated that there are a lot of others in circulation, and it's not unusual to see multiple examples posted on coin talk

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. 4Ritamari

4Ritamari New Member

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

7. Breanna

Breanna New Member

My 1977 quarter says in cod we trust. Where can I sell it lower than everyone else asking so it goes fast?

8. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Well, you are welcome to show pictures but it sounds like you have a minor filled die. This wouldn't really carry any kind of premium.

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted