1977 Quater No Mint Mark

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by RJ254, Oct 1, 2016.

1. RJ254

RJ254 New Member

I have never seen a quater in this good condition. It's very shiny with a perfect silver look. Do anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Was a little confused when I saw "quater"! The quarter just appears to have been polished, could be plated as well.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It appears to have been polished (or buffed).........PMD!

Chris

5. RJ254

RJ254 New Member

How can you actually tell? I know just by looking at it could have been polished, so is there any other way?

6. cpm9ball

Experience! The only other way would be to ask the person who polished it.

Chris

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Well, are we seeing dark areas inside (for instance) B, E and Y and GOD on the obverse, and certain areas of the reverse? That would be an absolute indicator that the coin was very dark/dirty to begin with and had been cleaned within an inch of its' life.

Another indication is the reflectivity of the devices. In_no_way should the devices of a coin ever be described as "reflective," best seen under the chin and on the eagle's breast; that's a deadly problem.

RJ254 likes this.
  8. RJ254

RJ254 New Member

How can you actually tell? I know just by looking at it could have been polished, so is there any other way?

9. RJ254

RJ254 New Member

10. SuperDave

I could swear I just answered that question in specific detail.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You just need to answer it two more times.:D

12. RJ254

RJ254 New Member

13. RJ254

RJ254 New Member

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If it looks shiny, it is shiny. You can tell it's shiny by looking at it. How many coins have you held in your hand? How many have you seen? Do they look like yours? It's shiny like you stated. Look at the coin itself, not the shine. I can see wear and dirt. It's been polished and since a coin is made from metal, it's polished.

15. cpm9ball

Forget him, CN! He's already asked the same question twice. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked it again, but probably not since I've made this comment.

Chris

16. SuperDave

Actually, he's asked it five times in this thread alone. :)

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What you want to see with an uncirculated coin is 'luster' and not shiny. Shiny is created by polishing.........luster is created by 'flow lines' during the striking of the coin.

18. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

And the Trolls go marching on.. No one would legitimately post the same thing FIVE frickin' times...

19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Forget it :oops:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  20. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

21. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Sounds like my 2 yo granddaughter.

Draft saved Draft deleted