1977 penny error ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Osborne8727, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Osborne8727

Osborne8727 New Member

I have 2 1977 pennies one is a D the other is just 1977 I am new to collecting and not very knowledgeable with coins. I was wondering what everyone thought about these 2 pennies error or no ? The date looks different on them and the color is different ...and the D looks like a possible Pacman error! IMG_20190712_052117677.jpg IMG_20190712_052117677.jpg IMG_20190712_052117677.jpg IMG_20190712_052117677.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Different US Mints
    D is Denver
    No Mint Mark is Philadelphia

Both your Cents have Environmental Damage toning.
    None are mint errors.

Pacman error is something made up that is not officially recognized.

Spark1951 and R_rabbit like this.
  4. Osborne8727

Osborne8727 New Member

Okay why Are the 2 dates so different ?

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Circulation wear and tear altered the appearance.
    They have been in the wild for 42 years.

Spark1951 and Oldhoopster like this.
  6. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

Here is a couple you can have if you want to pay for postage. undamaged/uncirculated but not the best even out of mint package.
    IMG_20190712_082105345.jpg

7. Autoturf

Ozborne these guys have seen thousands (understatement), your coins are not special. people who don't know, often try to argue their coin is more than it is. if you don't have an open mind to learn what is or is not, it will be hard for you to learn, You ask why are the dates different, as if to argue something, lets start with they are two different dies, they are two different mints, you have two damaged coins, that are damaged different. the mint produced over 4 billion of each, both mints 4.1 billion each. you have no error.

8. Autoturf

My coins are Special,,,,, to me, because I have a love for the hobby, you wont make any money out of pocket change, the more you enjoy the hobby the less money you have. but im happy to have some nice stuff.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. Both coins are normal. Worn and environmentally damaged.

10. Seeya Tomara

Seeya Tomara New Member

As I am retired, I spend a lot of time going studying count errors. I find a lot of bizarre damage made by rolling companies from surface stains to surface damage that coverds both sides. Your pennies look like outside mint problems. Wish they were a true mint error. There are s lot of sites that show you true mint errors

11. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Go to these 3 websites. They will help you determine if what you find are recognized errors:

error-ref.com...doubleddie.com and lincolncentresource.com.

Take your time and learn, there is a lot of info there...and don't beleive what you see or hear on Youtube...it is just a clickbait site that earns users money, even if the info offered is bogus...Spark

12. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

@Osborne , Welcome to Coin Talk. This is the perfect place to be to learn about coins,,,, and yourself actually. (I will explain in a moment)
    It will take time for you to get a good foundation to build your knowledge of coins. Like I said, everything you will ever want to know about coins is right here inside these theoretical walls.
    It's a really fun and exciting hobby. You will get out of it what you put into it. You wont get rich, but you might make some lifelong friends,,, which to me, is more important and fulfilling than money.
    I haven't been into coins for very long, but it has helped tremendously for me to take notes,,(4 notebooks so far), because there is just so much to learn.
    Everyone here kind of has a specialty, alot of people know enough to fill libraries. But it will cost you,,,,,, lol(waiting for that statement to sink in) Dont worry about asking too many questions, or sending in too many pictures. But you have to not take everything to heart, dont take yourself so seriously and be ready to laugh at others as well as yourself, because you will be teased and called out on just about anything. Not like Bullies, more like friends that help keep you grounded.
    A couple important things to start out on the right foot,,,,,,
    1) Believe and trust that the answers they give you are fact. It may not be the answer you want, but it will be the right answer . TRUST me, I've tried to prove them wrong numerous times, never successfully. Lol
    2) If you take pictures try to make them in focus to the best of your ability. 1 pic of front or Obverse, 1 of the back or Reverse and a couple of the error in question.
    3) Get used to looking up the question you have, either through a search on here, or Lincoln Resource (like a member said in a reply to you earlier) or Variety Vista or Copper Coins. There is alot of info and help wherever you are.

I apologize for this welcome being so long, but I just wanted to get you as much info as I could to help you out.
    Dont get all butt hurt if someone cracks a joke or something is said but didnt come out right. Everybody is really cool here and will give the shirt off their back. Well, maybe not their shirt, but they WILL help you.

So pull up a chair and get comfy. The show is about to begin. The store is always open.
    Thanks,,,,,,, Foo

JeffC, Spark1951 and Autoturf like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted