1977 Jefferson Nickel Error (What & How much?)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Lehigh96, May 4, 2021.

1. slayerbear

slayerbear New Member

So I have a 1977 nickle but the year says 1077

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Welcome to CT. Please create your own thread and include photos, Full Size not thumbnails. Yours probably has a die chip. Common

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Pictures or it doesn't exist o_O

5. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Well, in my opinion, it is not anywhere near the cost to slab it.

71Avalon and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The NGC Price Guide for a 1977 MS67 without an error is $150. Are you saying that the error decreases the value because it isn't eligible for the inclusion in the registry?

7. JCro57

1. You can't compare prices for errors and non-errors for the same coin in the same grade. They are two entirely different categories.

2. A coin's grade is not as important as its eye appeal. Honestly, the 67 doesnt make it worth any more than if it graded a 62.

3. Your error coin's value is still nowhere near what you paid for certification, error attribution, and shipping. In fact, it is worth less than the $15 attribution fee let alone the other charges.

4. Exactly why did you want it slabbed? And why pay money to have someone else tell you what you already knew?

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Why not? This is very minor error on what is otherwise a premium gem 1977 Jefferson Nickel.

That's insane. First, eye appeal is part of the grade, so by definition, an MS67 would be more eye appealing than an MS62. Second, the entire structure in the coin world is that condition is everything. Higher grades mean higher prices.

Again, we have an MS67 graded coin with a stated price guide value of $150 and it cost me $40 to have it graded. If you are saying that they error drops the value of this coin from $150 to under $40, then what is the purpose of collecting error coins at all. If what you are saying is true, then errors are simply junk/trash.

Certified coins are much more liquid than raw coins. Whenever I submit a coin for grading, I already know the grade, but my opinion doesn't count. It isn't about NGC telling me what I already know, it is about telling my customers what NGC thinks the coin's grade/attribution is.

9. JCro57

You seem like a very nice person, but you are either very new to this hobby or you have been in it quite a while but don't know very much about things. (The length of time you have been doing something in no way equates to expertise. There are a lot of people who stink at their jobs after decades of work.)

I don't engage in debate.

Stick to what you think you know, ignore people who have experience on their side, and eventually it will be your financial losses (like paying $70 in fees for a $10 coin) and collection setbacks that just might be what will get through to you.

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'd think the higher up it grades the more the error is a liability. When we get up to super-high gem I think we want a good coin. You cut out a lot of your market when it's an error as unspectacular as this. I can see this getting less action at MS67 than had it not had the misalignment error.

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

This does seem to be the case with better dates and top pops; small errors tend to decrease the price based on the combination of it not being registry set eligible and it being "less than perfect" for those wanting the highest grade.

I looked up 1977 MS 67 nickel sales and only found two results across 4 venues (HA, Stacks, GC, and eBay-although eBay only lets you see a small time frame). Heritage brought $115 in 2008 and GC brought $90.72 in 2020. NGC price guide is $175 but that tends to be high for moderns. With the error it would take the right buyer to really want it (and at what price?...maybe $75-$100?). Auctioning the coin would likely be a bad idea as it could sell for a fairly small amount.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/jefferson-...-24209.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/877913/1977-Jefferson-Nickel-NGC-MS-67

Draft saved Draft deleted