1977 D washington quarter 40% silver clad

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by OrangeLizard, Aug 28, 2013.

1. OrangeLizard

OrangeLizard New Member

I'm wondering if anybody has any information on a 1977 silver clad quarter. I've seen it mentioned in just a couple places searching the net. One site said a few were minted at the Denver mint. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. OrangeLizard

OrangeLizard New Member

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I have heard of halves but not quarters or dollars. In theory it might be possible but I don't think any confirmed pieces have been found.

5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

All the 40% silver quarters were minted in San Francisco I believe so it would probably be possible for an error to come from there if one does exist. However, not so sure how a coin could have come from Denver and been minted in 40% silver as Denver didn't mint any silver quarters for the bicentennial as far as I'm aware.

6. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

If one was out there people are too greedy not to have sold it a couple of times by now.

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Are you sure it wasn't a 1977-D half dollar? I recall reading something about one being found on coincommunityforum some time ago...

8. OrangeLizard

OrangeLizard New Member

Hey thanks everyone for the replies. The only place that I found that mentions them specifically is from a Google search. One of the results from the Google search was a few pages taken from the book The Insiders Guide To US Coin Values by Scott A. Travers. It states that "In 1977 a few Washington quarters were made at the Denver mint on leftover silver clad coin blanks. " Silver clad quarters, half dollars and dollars apparently were minted at the Denver mint in 1975 & 1976. It goes on to say that they, the 1977 silver clad quarters, are rare and valuable. So this leads me to believe such a quarter might sexist. Any more thought anyone?

9. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

the guys over on PCGS forum mentioned 6-8 silver 1977 D halves know to exist but they never mentioned anything about quarters ...maybe you should ask cladking directly

10. Blissskr

Do you think you have one of these quarters? If so it should be pretty easy to determine from looking at the coin if you post some good photos, also the silver clad quarters weigh 5.75 grams while the clad quarters weigh 5.67 grams so weighing the coin is another possible way to verify.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. OrangeLizard

OrangeLizard New Member

12. Blissskr

Can you post a photo clearly showing the coins edge?

13. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

That a neat looking quarter.
    I have heard that the SF mint sent planchets to the Denver Mint and by the barrel, only because they saved them, and some silver planchets were somehow mixed in. Thats is how the Ike dollars were able to get silver coins for the non silver types. Maybe thats how the halfs and quarters were minted.

14. OrangeLizard

OrangeLizard New Member

15. OrangeLizard

OrangeLizard New Member

16. Blissskr

Looks like a regular clad coin to me based off the photos although they could be clearer. Are you able to actually see that copper band on the edge that I think I'm seeing in your pics?
    I took these pictures below of a regular 40% bicentennial quarter for you to compare the edges.

silv40quarter.jpg silv40quarter2.jpg

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Copper nickel clad proof planchets that are rejected as not being up to quality standard are shipped to Denver to be used for making business strike coins. Some of the 40% silver half dollar planchets were accidentally shipped to Denver along with copper nickel clad planchets in 1975 and apparently again in 1977. (The 1975 planchets were struck during the period in 1975 when the frozen date 1974 coins were still beiing struck. The 1977-D coins are a bigger question because all of the 40% silver Bicentennial coins were struck in 1975. Why the rejected blanks were not sent to Denver until over a year after they stopped striking silver I can't explain.)

18. OrangeLizard

OrangeLizard New Member

Blissskr-

Yes, there is a copper band.

19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

then it's clad

Blissskr likes this.
  20. el Leprechaun

el Leprechaun New Member

Hi I have a 1977-D Quarter dollar and I have read it in Scott A Traverse book that it is rare and I believe that it has a 40% silver but I'm not quite sure yet though I've been also trying to check it if it has a silver content through density test, I will post photo also of the coin maybe some of you can help. Thank you.

21. el Leprechaun

el Leprechaun New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted