1977 D Roosevelt Dime error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jason1367, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Hey everyone,
    Last night I went down to the store to grab a roll of dimes to try and cherry pick any good fillers for my collection. One dime caught my eye. It is a 1977-D Roosevelt dime. The D is totally filled in and looks like a blob. The "we" in in God we trust is practically off the coin. I was looking for a answer online and came across a fourm where another person has a similar coin. Mr. Diamond a Error expert replied to this persons thread asking him to get in touch with him because he believes it to be a die error. I tried tracking down Mr. Diamond with no success. Now im here asking the same question. Does any one know or have heard about this odd looking coin? If anyone would like, I can up load pics if needed. I would appreciate any feed back on this subject. Thanks for your time.
    -Jason McKeown

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

1) Pictures always help.
    2) Mike Diamond visits & helps folks here often.
    3) do you have a link to the similar coin/thread you were talking about?

Most of all welcome & enjoy the forum!

4. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Hi Jay,
    I will grab the link to the page I was talking about and I will get a few pics up as well. I will post the pic and link with in the hour. Thanks for your time and interest!
    _Jason

5. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

this is the link to the page mike diamond commented on. The coin in this persons thread isn't as full as the D on mine. I am uploading pics now. Thanks!

6. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

pic1

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      48.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

pic2

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      21.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

pic3

Attached Files:

9. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Oh, and jay, Thank you for the warm welcome! :O)

10. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

11. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

12. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

It's a worn die. Basically the center of the "D" broke off of the die. You have to remember that every raised detail on a coin is incuse on the die. This means that on the die, the center of the "D" mint mark is just a tiny piece of steel and it breaks easily after numerous strikings of coins.

13. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Thanks jallengomez. I appreciate your input. I went down and grabbed a roll and this one caught my eye. When I looked it up I found a forum where a guy had the same type of coin. What really caught my interest, Mike Diamond was asking for more info about the coin. So I figured it couldn't hurt to inquire more on it. Thanks for your info. I might not have struck it rich on a error but being relatively new to collection I definitely learned more on the minting process from ya. Thank you very much!!

jallengomez likes this.
  14. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I agree with jallengomez about the filled D. Concerning the possibility of "design creep" on WE, that's out of my league. I sent a message to Mike. I'm sure he'll take a look when he has time. Good luck!

15. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

In these years the WE hugs the design rim and often appears to run off the edge when it actually doesn't. To confidently diagnose design creep, the strike must be perfectly centered, and the entire perimeter design should look like it's running off the edge of the coin. The coin would also be expected to show a partial collar error. I haven't run across any truly convincing examples among domestic coins, and foreign examples are restricted to a few fractional Euro coins that I've only seen photos of. The closest equivalent to this error among domestic coins are examples of peripheral die expansion and erosion:
    http://www.error-ref.com/peripheral-die-expansion-and-erosion/
    This has only been recorded among 1982 cents (several die pairs).

jay4202472000 and jallengomez like this.
  16. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Ok sounds good. It was a dime pulled from a roll. It just struck me as interesting. Ive only been collecting for a few years so there is much to learn. I just wanted to heir on the safe side and run it by ya. Thank you very much to everyone for your time! and have a happy healthy new year to everyone!

jallengomez and jay4202472000 like this.
  17. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

An account of the first domestic case of design creep (a run of 2014-P nickels) can be read in this week's Coin World (April 20, 2015).

18. Luther jameson76

Luther jameson76 New Member

I have a 1968 no s dimensions 1990 penny no s 1983 d copper penny 3.1 is weight what would u opinion on that

19. Luther jameson76

Luther jameson76 New Member

,1968 dime no s sorry

20. Bamagirl553

Bamagirl553 New Member

I have a 1977 dime looks similar to the one previously described on here the in God we trust is a little bit cut off on the edge of the word we and the word in but mine doesn't have a mint mark either is this strange

21. LonWanda

LonWanda New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted