1976 Two dollar bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Felicia04, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsden, derkerlegand and ZoidMeister like this.
  4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Thank you Felicia04 for your thoughtful patriotism. Happy and safe 4th

chuck123 and derkerlegand like this.
  5. Lennyskibicki

Lennyskibicki New Member

When they were ready to release series 1995, I was wondering if they would have gone back to the Monticello reverse or keep the declaration reverse. Don’t know why but I prefer the Monticello reverse

Marsden and Edward D Shapiro like this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

The serial number on that note is "almost " pretty spectacular too.

Z

Kentucky likes this.
  7. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

these need to be in mint state condition for any value, they made billions of these, and when the public refused to use them, (and sba coins) they forced them on servicemen over seas who had to dump em at a steep discount because the host country did not like them either, so most took a cut of 25% of their pay, just another way america thanks it's veterans and active service people, lol

8. john65999

looking online cannot find the original source material, but i remember reading this way back when sba's came out...might be urban hoax legend

9. john65999

found it!!!!!
    When the American public by-and-large rejected the Susan B. Anthony dollars, many were sent overseas to be used in paying military personnel. Can you imagine getting a bunch of two-dollar bills and SBA dollars in your pay packet? That was reality for many troops stationed in West Germany at the time.

It was even worse for them than you might think: the West German businesses didn’t want Susan B. Anthony dollars either! Many establishments refused them outright, and even the banks, which maintained an exchange ratio of roughly 1.75 deutschemarks for each paper dollar, would take SBA dollars only one-for-one…a nasty pay cut of more than 40% on the portion paid out in SBAs.

After I received my Susan B. Anthony dollar, I showed it to Dave Stone, one of my co-workers in the cataloging department. Dave’s a great guy, really easy-going and smart with lots of worldly experience. He listened with a patient smile as I rattled off the West German payment factoid, and when he was done, he just said:

“I know. I was there.”

It’s funny. From a few of the stories he’d told me — and the good ones are not mine to tell, alas — I knew he’d been a sergeant in the U.S. Army (where he’d picked up the punning nickname “Sgt. Rock”), that he’d been stationed in West Germany, and the years were right, but I’d never once thought about him being there, trying to spend these funny tiny dollars the bars wouldn’t take, living what I knew only as a tale from history.

10. john65999

Draft saved Draft deleted