1976 Roosevelt Dime Counter Clash

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ed Hesse, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Ed Hesse

Ed Hesse Member

20201225_143437.jpg 20201225_143602.jpg Merry Christmas to my CT family. As always you all are my go-to source when I can't get an answer.
    This is a classic counter clash. On Rev you can make out the outline of Roosevelt's head, and although hard to see on OBV there is olive leaf behind his neck and I think bottom of torch in front of his eyes.
    Couldn't find this on Wexler or maddieclashes. I know a 74D exists same clash. Ken Potter says that may be a $200 coin. Anyone seen this on 76? Or am I first discovery? (Fat chance). Again tks in advance and here's to a better year.

john65999, capthank and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That's a pretty nice clash. I highly doubt it'd be a $200 coin though...
    @paddyman98 @JCro57 know more about errors than me.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Nice clash. They can carry a premium from the right buyer if a new discovery but you would need to slab it after having it verified by someone like Bob Neff at maddieclashes but I'm not sure he is taking submissions and has not for some time.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I love obvious errors that I can see with the naked eye, and yours is. Good find.

john65999, DEA and adelaide888 like this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

These clashes are common on dimes. But remember condition is the key to value.
    I believe that the 200$ value came from the Strike It Rich books. And you can pretty much take the values in that book and throw them out the window.

It is a neat clash, definitely a keeper.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I imagine it's worth $1 or less.
    "Die clash values are minimal at best and are common enough that they add very little value to a coin."

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Did he tell you that?
    Nah.. I don't think so.

Heavymetal and tommyc03 like this.
  10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Die clashes on clad, modern dimes are common
    I have several years and mints
    I’ll wander back to this thread next week and post a few
    Only a couple of mine are over $2 value, I figure

11. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Fun find!! Worth putting away in your collection with a note that it is a discovery piece. I agree with our fellow enthusiasts: common on dimes and not overly valuable. But certainly collectable and interesting.

12. Heavymetal

37B6C8D1-ACE4-4C4C-9DBB-8EE5BD6F1255.jpeg DA3D7687-0F5E-4F67-AF81-0FAE945C639D.jpeg 6A2476D8-C33F-4329-B973-22FD53A6EE36.jpeg E8A18631-2FAC-4A6E-8CFE-1DA5D9751E4B.jpeg Some from CRH. Full train wreck

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. Heavymetal

14. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

This dime does have a clash, but it is not worth anywhere near $200. Mint State examples can be had for under $40. This one is pretty beat up. I would put it at less than $10.

Also, a "discovery" label would not be the appropriate term even if it is the only 1976 dime die clash in existence. It would only be a discovery if it was a never-before-seen error type. For example, if it was a cent on dime double denomination with both clad layers missing, or a 1976 dime struck on a 40% silver quarter planchet.

Don't be fooled by the "only date of its kind" marketing gimmick concerning error coins. With errors, the date on the coin means nothing to an error collector usually. Unless of course the date itself is tied to a type coin like a war nickel, steel cent, bicentennial, or a transitional error.

I am a hardcore error collector as are quite a few of my fellow coin nerd friends. We would never pay more for an error simply because it is the only unplated1986-D cent or a 1953 quarter on a silver dime planchet. That really only matters to someone trying to complete an error type set by year, for which there are very, very few.

I hate to be a downer on this post as it is a cool find, but I also hate to see people get their hopes up only to have them getting crushed later.

~Joe Cronin

Mountain Man and adelaide888 like this.
  15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I hear ya I have an 83 D close to the same that I posted years back, found out the same thing. It isn't always a downer, sometimes it is a motivator.

16. Ed Hesse

Ed Hesse Member

17. Ed Hesse

Ed Hesse Member

Well that was a big response! Thank you to all. I know most errors don't carry much. Learned early to not get excited about anything. Again thank you all for the intel. Hope you all had the best xmas you could and here's to a better 2021.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  18. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

With errors, the date on the coin means nothing to an error collector usually.

I own serval error coins but really know next to nothing about errors. I did show them to an extremely knowledgeable error dealer who stated that errors with dates are worth more than errors without dates.

19. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

20. Heavymetal

We do like dates...and mint marks on error coins
    Especially on off-centers, cuds , capped dies, clips
    Not even trying for a full list

Dynoking likes this.
  21. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

try 20-45.00, this is the price i seem to find for these specimens...i picked up a nice one on the bay for 35.00 myself...

Draft saved Draft deleted