1976 proof set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jon67, May 12, 2011.

1. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

the story is; My brothers father in law passed away a couple of years ago and he left quite a mess of tools and stuff in his work room in his basement. so my brother and his wife went down to do some cleanup to get rid of junk and find stuff that his mother inlaw could get rid of in a garage sale. well he finds a square file box full of proof sets mint sets and some assorted stuff. stuff that his mother inlaw knew nothing about. so he asked if he could bring it to me for a kind of apraisal. i was looking through and found this prrof set and the cent is toned silver on the reverse. she wasnt really interested in toned coins so i purchased a different mint set and replaced it. forgive the bad scans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's hard to tell from your photo, but it may have something to do with the way the coins were stored in that metal box in the basement. The Mint cases are not impervious to different climate conditions.

Chris

4. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

oh i forgot it was a waterproof plastic file box

5. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

ok some new pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Waterproof doesn't mean much though. What else was inside the box, what temperatures was it stored in ect...a lot can affect the coins. Just because it's water proof doesn't mean the elements can't get in.

7. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

there where only coins and proof sets older and newer none toned like this

8. kydedhed

kydedhed Member

i too have several proof sets from the 70s and earlier, and maybe one from the eighties that have the whacky toning on the lincoln. i think they look really cool actually. prob takes away fromt he value but really nice to look at.
    will try and take some pics this evening after work and post if interested

9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I really like the cent. Nice colors on the obverse and interesting lack of any color on the reverse. I am not so sure that it detracts from the value at all.

10. cpm9ball

That is irrelevant. Why did some Morgans in a 1000-coin bag tone and others didn't? Why did some of the coins in a 50's double mint set tone and others didn't? Besides that, the other coins were either clad or nickel rather than copper.

Chris

11. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Exactly. Well said.
    Lance.

12. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

Hey guys for one i didnt post this to be told what i have i know what it is its a toned coin i was mostly just showing it to see what you think like it or not any other opinions you can keep to your self

13. cpm9ball

Let's see. You post this, and you don't want any comments. Next time, be more specific. Pardon me if I don't drool.

Chris

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think it's time to move to the next thread.

15. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Looks nice to me!

16. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

Thanks BadThad

Draft saved Draft deleted