1976 Lincoln Penny No Mint Mark Error question?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rodney Grote, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Rodney Grote

Rodney Grote New Member

Hey everyone! Brand new here! I've read the forums a few times, but never felt the need to join and post til now. I've got a 1976 coin I found in my change. The penny has two errors that I can see. The first, IN GOD WE TRUST, is raised above the coin. It's raised more than normal to where it's got the border line going through it, if that makes sense ... The second error is the same case. However, the second one is the WORDS, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I've tried searching for this exact error and no luck at all, whatsoever. Is this a new find? Or am I just searching wrong? I just want to know what the error is called & how much it's worth if anything, TY SO VERY MUCH !!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

You will need to post a pic of coin but it sounds like it may be a grease filled die or struck with a worn out die.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Without pictures of the obv. and rev. it's all speculation. Post pics please.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It sound like it may be die derioration. Very commonly seen on the zinc cents but it does show up on other coins as well. Images need to be sure.

6. Rodney Grote

Rodney Grote New Member

Lol! Sorry y'all, totally forgot to post the pictures with my post!! IMG_20180201_140028237.jpg IMG_20180201_140050758.jpg IMG_20180201_140103995.jpg IMG_20180201_140117098.jpg IMG_20180201_140028237.jpg IMG_20180201_140050758.jpg IMG_20180201_140103995.jpg IMG_20180201_140117098.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

What is the thickness of your coin compared to another cent? And are they the same diameter?

8. Collecting Nut

Looks like a normal 1976 damaged cent to me. A lot of wear and it looks as if the rims on both sides have been filed down and worn. Welcome to CT.

9. Rodney Grote

Rodney Grote New Member

The coin I compared it too was just slightly bigger round wise, & the thickness of the coin I compared too, it was thicker. So mine was smaller, and smaller, if that makes sense lolol. I don't see how it's possible at all this is just wear and tear, I mean I believe y'all, but why would it be on the line, above where it use to be, how does wear & tear even possibly do that ?? Tyvm !!

Attached Files:

10. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

You just have to think of over 40 years of circulation. They used to have machines that took cents, It could have got caught in a washer or dryer, A kid may have had spare time on his hands, It's hard to tell There are way to many ways for coins to get damage after leaving the mint.

11. Collecting Nut

I also said it looks as if the rim has been filed down and worn.

12. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Close-ups and focused please.......

13. yartiques

yartiques Active Member

Post pics of just the coin. No background.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Looks like an early stage dryer coin. Rim is pushed down into the inscription and he says it is smaller in diameter.

circoincol and enamel7 like this.
  15. Tea

Tea New Member

I
    I have a 1985 Penny very similar, and I was told the very same thing. Something about Grease and Die. On my coin the top of the "E" in WE is cut off as well as the top of the "T" in "TRUST" and the "R" and "S". Looks to me like that's how the penny was made.

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The Cent shown is a damaged Cent that was caught in a clothes dryer.. If yours looks the same then it's also damaged. Not a Mint Error

Draft saved Draft deleted