1976 Double Denomination

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by nancyb, Aug 4, 2015.

1. nancyb

nancyb New Member

Good afternoon, here I am again almost 2 years later and not much more progress. I did have coin looked at Manchester NH Coin Show so I know it's real! I just really want to sell it now and hoping to find info as to what is the best approach? I really don't want to put a lot of effort into it since I am not a collector. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Rick Stachowski and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I will let the real error collectors chime in. It looks real to me, but what I cannot understand is how a cent planchet could get struck in a dime press. Usually this error is a dime planchet struck on a cent press. Think about it, the cent is larger, how would it fit in the coller? Usually these coins are larger denominations struck on smaller ones, like a cent on a dime, a nickel on a cent, a quarter on a nickel, etc. Not the other way around.

Pay a dealer to get it certified. If it comes back legit that will maximize your profit.

medjoy likes this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I've caught chumps on eBay. I'd just try to sell it on eBay.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You went to the coin show. Did anyone make any offers?
    On the other threads you posted a few years back you were given the price ranges for such a double denomination coin. Just don't take the first low offer!

6. paddyman98

There have been a few threads on Mint Assisted errors recently.. that could be the answer

7. paddyman98

Here is what Mike Diamond said on an older thread concerning this Double Denomination - August 13, 2013

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Then I would cede to anyone with more knowledge than I.

Btw, I would have to agree with you that it appears this got some "help" at the mint. However, if the OP found it in circulation, its curious how it made it there. One would assume it went directly from the mint to a major error dealer.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

He should describe it better. The other denomination is a Roosevelt Dime.

10. paddyman98

I read that there are 2 types of Mint Assisted errors. First is that they create the Double Denomination, pull it out of the Die Press and keep it. The other is that they just toss a Cent into the bin with the different denomination planchets to get struck and it just gets lost into circulation to be found by a person such as the OP. If I find the article I will share it.
    And that a lot of these crazy Mint Assisted Errors happened mostly in the 1970's.. The OP's coin is from the 70's :woot:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  11. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I like to see the reverse, look like the cent was struck first, then the dime was struck over it ??

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Please post a photo of the reverse.

13. paddyman98

14. Rick Stachowski

15. paddyman98

I'm wondering.. Could this be an actual Cent on Dime? I think the color of the pictures the OP is presenting are off and we are thinking it's a Cent. So it's not a Dime on Cent but in fact a Cent on Dime. That would be more plausible!

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  16. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Maybe Rascal will stop by to give his opinion of authenticity and value.
    (7 million dollars?)

17. Rick Stachowski

We need the weight and wouldn't the rim be reed then ...

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

send it in to be certified.. best way to determine legitimacy

19. Rick Stachowski

If you blow up the image of the reverse, the rim looks reeded ...

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. paddyman98

This looks like a reeded edge to me!
    REED.PNG

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

With all due respect to Mr. Diamond; your recommendation was sound, particularly for a self-described non-collector looking to achieve the highest retail price possible. While arguably true that "authenticity is obvious to anyone with even a passing familiarity...", this does not automatically mean the coin will enjoy the same interest level, not only from error enthusiasts but also more generalized collectors, in its present raw state that it would top TPG certified. This certainly isn't to say that she could not or would not achieve a fair and/or reasonable price as is, but only that, as you stated, it would offer the best chance to MAXIMIZE the coin's potential.

Rick Stachowski and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted