1976 D PENNY ERROR?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by J Sanchez, Jun 9, 2016.

?

Is this a double die?

1. Penny

42.9%
  2. Nickel

71.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. J Sanchez

J Sanchez Gold & Silver

I found this penny in my pocket change, any ideas from you guys?

Attached Files:

Chuckdcrane likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Good morning J. First, the correct term is Doubled Die, not Double Die. Second, your poll does not make sense. You're asking about a possible penny error and your poll is, well, read what you wrote. Third, all I can see is what looks like MD or Machine Doubling which is quite common.

The only known Doubled Die on a 1976-D cent is extra thickness on the word "LIBERTY" and on the motto. 2 varieties exist. They are classified as Light Extra Thickness and Moderate Extra Thickness.

Try searching for CopperCoins.com

paddyman98 and J Sanchez like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I voted nickel.

Mernskeeter and J Sanchez like this.
  5. J Sanchez

J Sanchez Gold & Silver

Thanks so much for the help and as you can tell I need lots of it. I appreciate your time

Kentucky and Collecting Nut like this.
  6. smarch

smarch Active Member

you da man!

Mernskeeter and J Sanchez like this.
  7. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

My question is this. WHY would you attach a poll asking if it's a penny or a nickel when it is obviously a penny? Are you trolling?

J Sanchez likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The Machine Doubling they refer to means that the dies shifted while the coin was being struck which leaves some shelf-like flat shadows that look like the original struck letters or numbers. When a die is made, if the characters are struck twice in making the die, we end up with Die Doubling which is often referred to as a "double die" and can be worth LOTS of bucks.

J Sanchez likes this.
  9. J Sanchez

J Sanchez Gold & Silver

Thanks so much Kentucky, this helps a lot.

10. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

There are a few doubled die cents that are "worth lots of bucks" because they are very rare. Most doubled die's aren't worth a whole lot. There are between 10 to 15 million people searching through pennies at any given time. If there are 10 coins that have been found of a certain rare type you will see that the chances of finding one are about as good as winning a lottery. I love this hobby but I have let go of any illusions that I will ever find "the big ones".

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Chuckdcrane, Kentucky and J Sanchez like this.
  11. J Sanchez

J Sanchez Gold & Silver

I'm so new to this that I made that mistake. By making mistakes is my best way to learn LOL

tomfiggy likes this.
  12. J Sanchez

J Sanchez Gold & Silver

Thanks for helping!

tomfiggy likes this.
  13. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

J Sanchez likes this.
  14. J Sanchez

J Sanchez Gold & Silver

Now this is big, thanks for the time and all the help

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

One more great website!
    I want to share this website with you - http://www.error-ref.com/

J Sanchez likes this.
  16. J Sanchez

J Sanchez Gold & Silver

Awesome, thanks so much!

17. Daniel Kirschbaum

Daniel Kirschbaum New Member

I have a 1976 d mark penny with nothing printed on the back it weighs 3 grams . a normal penny weighs 3 grams .i was told by a coin shop if it weighs the same its a miss print but his books doesn't show it .still trying to find out what is worth

18. Kentucky

Welcome to CoinTalk. The best way to get information is to start your own thread under Error Coins or US Coins. Include pictures.

19. Bobbi

Bobbi New Member

I found what i thought to be a 1976D silver penny,but it sticks to a mangent,so i take its not silver...but i also cant get any info on this penny,its not in misprints,double die,or penny error...does anyone bo anything about this penny?..

20. Kentucky

Magnetic, so it must be either iron or plated with a ferromagnetic material. Try to weigh it and that narrows the possibilities.

21. Oops1968

Oops1968 New Member

Explain what nd is compared to actual dd

Draft saved Draft deleted