1976 D help please

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Melissa Weller, Sep 25, 2021.

1. I have a 1976 D cent that has America stamped on the obverse side I believe, is this common and is it worth anything just curious. I may be wrong all the way around which is why I brought the coin here. I tried to take the best pictures I could hope they are clear enough.

Attached Files:

Dearborn likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Damage with circulation wear and tear just a cent not an error.

GH#75 and Dearborn like this.
  4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

America is reversed and applied post mint, IMO

Dearborn likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s hard to see in the photo with it being on the rim but it appears to me that AMERICA is backwards and that it’s also recessed. If so, it’s damaged as it was squeezed in a vise.

Cazador and Dearborn like this.
  6. Dearborn

Dearborn Above average collector - Is that an Error?

Applied by using a vice and pressing another coin against this one.

7. Ok thanks for the info and input I appreciate it.

Dearborn likes this.
  8. Theirs also no initials under Lincoln

Dearborn likes this.
  9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

It would be a vice to be a vise and vise to a vice versa;)(vise not vice).

Dearborn likes this.
  10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Dearborn and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  11. Dearborn

Dearborn Above average collector - Is that an Error?

oopse, yes, a Freudian slip there.
    Maybe we need call out the vise squad! (another slip).. lol :kiss:

12. I wouldnt even know how to do that...that doesnt even seem possible...how but bout u try to do such an absurd thing...just fyi only thing I've ever gotten from coin talk is nothing but rude hateful comments and feedback, I recently found this coin coin roll hunting and thought it was a pretty unique find and thought I'd share it and maybe get some positivity or at least a nice comment but I should've known better because all I got was accusations of pressing it in a vise against another coin which is absolutely as ridiculous as it sounds...I'm not collecting to get rich I'm collecting because I like the hunt...thanks to all for ruining my excitement but I'd rather just keep it to myself for now on, y'all are a bunch of Debbie downing Negative Nancy's who like to pick people apart and take the fun Out of the hunt for people, I'm sorry but it's TRUE...thanks but no thanks.

13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Uncalled for Melissa. The question you asked is, is this common and is it worth anything? The reason members are telling you it's a vice job is because America can not possibly be imprinted on your coin from the mint. It happened post minting. As often happens when middle school or high school kids go to shop class they'll often use some of the available tools, machines and equipment to alter coins. Many of us have done it. The results are what you found CRH.

Nobody gave you that info to be rude it was an actual explanation of how it happened, and the reason it's worth one cent.

Mountain Man and Oldhoopster like this.
  14. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I don’t think anybody is being intentionally rude. We’re just fed up with garbage coins that people think are valuable.

I suspect the culprit are the click bait articles and YouTube videos “YOU COULD HAVE $50K IN YOUR POCKET CHANGE.”

the reality is - even IF if was a genuine error, 99% of errors are of minimal value, mostly under $10. Big money is for famous ones like Bugs Bunny Ben, Extra Leaf Wisconsin, DDO 1955 Cent, etc.

Another thing that gets many members frustrated is the lack of education on what a true error is. There are tons of resources - the idea is to do your own research first and then ask for help.

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  15. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

There are numerous ways for coins to become damaged after they leave the mint, but a errors are much more limited.

You should never assume a coin is an error because you can't explain how the damage occurred. It can only be an error if you can explain how it occurred during the minting process. Many of the members are very knowledgeable of the minting process and are telling you that this cannot happen at the mint.

If you enjoy searching for Errors, learning and understanding the minting and die making processes is very useful. Here is a video to get you started.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=104&v=mqPvKxJXC_Y&feature=emb_title

16. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

many people do things to coins for many reasons and it's can be disheartening when you are told PMD on a odd coin i know been there done that myself

just keep your head high and keep looking unusual coins lurk out there waiting to be found

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

In all honesty I can only state about a coin from a photo that you poster. When I saw America on the rim and it was backwards I can only state that it was caused in a vice. I stated what I saw. I never accused you of doing it but it happens on a regular basis. Someone, somewhere for the purpose of trying to create an error did this to this coin.

18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I can't defend your feelings as they are your alone, but if you want honest opinions to question you can't find answers to, then this is the best FREE site to use. If you feel members are rude and putting you down, then please feel free to go somewhere else, but I hope you'll grow a thicker skin and stick around long enough to learn from some very knowledgeable folks here at CT. Good Luck.
    I think your coin is PMD but a very interesting conversational piece and I would keep it for that reason.

19. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

I don't see anything offensive in any of the responses prior to the OP getting upset. Does anyone see anything offensive? The only thing said is that "America" is backwards and explained how this can be accomplished with coins in a vise. How is that offensive? Who would take offense to that? Why would someone take offense to that?

The OP wanted to know and an explanation was given. How is that "picking" anyone apart?

20. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

You wanted 'positivity' 'or at least a nice comment'

You didn't get either one, because the damaged coin
    didn't deserve a positive or nice comment - it's damaged/altered.

Also, no one accused you of putting it in a vice - they just said it
    was 'squeezed in a vice'

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's still vise.
    I didn't read any rude or hateful comments.
    People told you exactly what the situation was with this coin.
    If you like it, you can save it because it isn't costing anything to keep it.

Draft saved Draft deleted