1976 D 10c - Didn't they gold plate some for the Bicentenial?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tankkiller275, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Tankkiller275

Tankkiller275 Active Member

I've had this coin for a very long time and was going through my meager collection when I rediscovered it. Is is a gold-plated dime? It weighs 2.29g and a "normal" dime I checked weighed 2.30g. So I don't believe it was made using a different metal.

1976 D 10c Gold.1a.jpg
    1976 D 10c Gold.1b.jpg
    1976 D 10c Gold.2a.jpg
    1976 D 10c Gold.2b.jpg

The scratch to the neck doesn't expose the "normal" color of a dime.
    1976 D 10c Gold.Compare.jpg
    1976 D 10c Gold.Edge.jpg

I cannot remember much about this coin. What say you?

~Rob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Wow yours is really golden.I believe yours is plated.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No. The US Mint did not gold plate Dimes back then.
    What you are seeing is some kind of environmental toning or alteration to the clad. Occured after it left the US Mint

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Mr.Q, Andrew Snovell and Inspector43 like this.
  5. SensibleSal66

look familiar ?
    dime front-tile.jpg

6. Tankkiller275

Thanks Paddy... I thought they ran a Bicentennial series that was gold plated? I'm pretty sure they did for the higher denominations but not sure about the dime. I bought that coin well over 35 years ago, so can't remember. Could be that I was a gullible kid back then too...

~Rob

7. Tankkiller275

Sensible, Mine is very bright, not subdued and does not have the surface wear the one in your pictures seem to have. When I bought it as a kid I kept it in my coin box in a sleeve. Been that way for 35+ years.

~Rob

8. SensibleSal66

Yes you are right , Maybe just toned

9. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Depends on who you mean by "they". The US mint had nothing to do with gold plating bicentennial coins, but private companies plated them after the fact to sell them at a profit.

10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Franklin "Mint" or equivalent may have plated some Bicentennial coins. Not the US Mint that I've ever seen .

Z

11. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

A teller at my local branch bank had a gold plated 1971 Kennedy...
    Hated to tell her.... well you know

12. Tankkiller275

Gottcha... Good point.

~Rob

13. Tankkiller275

Yeah, I know the plating... if that is what it is... is very thin and adds very little value to the coin as a precious metal.

~Rob

14. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I'm sure many of you know tellers in your banks. Some may know you collect coin and when you go to your bank/credit union, the teller may want to show you a coin that they had taken in. That happened to me about 2 years ago. A teller at our credit union (a former student of my wife's) saw me and took me aside and was very eager to show me a gold quarter that a customer had given her. She had it in a small box wrapped in a piece of cloth. She took me into the SDB room and showed it to me. It was a 2002D Washington Quarter layered with a thin coat of gold "paint"? I took out my handkerchief and lifted the coin from her box to look at the coin closely. I wanted her to know I wasn't going to "bust her bubble", but I also didn't want her to think that the coin was a valuable item. I looked at it very close and then I had to tell her the truth, that it was a real Washington quarter that someone or some business had taken a real coin and had it coated with come type of gold coating. I told her that it was only worth about $20 and I would like to buy it if she would like to sell it. I think that she was very happy that I was willing to give her $20 for a gold coated quarter. It was worth it, because everytime I go to the credit union, she shows me coins that had come into the credit union. Many of the coins aren't worth too much, but I always give her more than the coins are worth. Now the other tellers have gotten into selling me coin collections. It has cost me over $200 over the years, but the value of the friendship that I have gotten is worth thousands. (By the way, I still have the gold coated 2002 D quarter and will never sell it or give it away.)

beaver96 and Heavymetal like this.
  15. Tankkiller275

Awesome story! Thanks, Jim. I knew an old gal when I was growing up as a kid in my very small 600 people town. She owned a Mercantile store and had some antiques and what not. She would always show me her coins. It is where I got the gold color coin, between 1978 and 1980. I am sure of the timeline because I moved to the town in '78 and she passed in late '80/early '81. She was about 90 years of age. She didn't sell it to me, she gave it to me, so I hold it dear to my heart and I'm glad I rediscovered it. I'm sure she told me how she came to have it and what the circumstances were but I cannot remember. If gold plated somehow, great! If gold colored due to some type of dipping, great! Its a keeper to me, none the less.

~Rob

16. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

A little sugar goes along ways. Treat the tellers nice and the karma will be returned.

17. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

18. Tankkiller275

Were there such businesses prevalent back in the 1970s/1980s? I'm sure, if it were to be discovered to be gold plated, someone could have done it and it just found its way to her, and thus me.

~Rob

19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I have seen penny,nickel, dime, quarter, and half dollar gold plate but have never seen a gold plated Morgan Silver Dollar, have you?

20. Tankkiller275

No... Not that I can recollect.

Mr.Q likes this.
  21. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have really enjoyed this line of thought. You folks are neat to read what you post. I was thinking about something that I bought from the Mint back in 2016. They were selling gold Mercury Dimes, Standing Liberty Quarters, and Walking Liberty Half Dollars. I was lucky to get the quarter and Half dollar coins, but they sold out of the gold Mercury Dimes. I signed up to get a Mercury Dime if any were returned or credit cards were not valid for one reason another. I decided not to have them graded, having been burnt by my MMIX Ultra High Relief Gold Coin by PCGS. I never could get PCGS to tell me exactly what was wrong with the coin. You would think that I was a leper by the way they avoided me. I was told that the coin had been examined by a grader and that there were no "do-overs". I like buying RAW coins now. Anyway, I love those coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted