1976 bicentennial quarter question

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lisa A., Sep 12, 2018.

1. Lisa A.

Lisa A. New Member

Hello, i came across a couple bicentennial quarters but one of them has cud marks like it was lightly struck with a smaller coin. Can you tell me if I've found a new error in the bicentennial quarter?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Those appear to be marks left by a coin rolling machine, usually referred to here as PMD or Post-Minting-Damage. Welcome to CoinTalk.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Seconded.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll be third.

6. IanC

IanC Numismatist

As previous posts have said, yes, it is PMD (post-minting damage). This is a very common occurrence. When machines roll the coins, they often scrape against each other, creating the round marks.

Robert91791 likes this.
  7. Lisa A.

Lisa A. New Member

IMG_20180907_235853.jpg IMG_20180907_235503.jpg IMG_20180907_235853.jpg IMG_20180907_235503.jpg IMG_20180907_235503.jpg
    Thank you! I always come to this site when i have a coin question, everyone is so informative & always get the right answers.

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Many years ago I had an odd experience (what's new). I tried to spin around in my tracks while walking on a concrete floor and much to my surprise coasted right past an 180 degree turn. Under my the ball of my right foot was a penny that facilitated the turn. Said penny now had very heavy circular scrapes.

Almost all of these circles are caused by rolling machines but there are less common causes as well. Coins are usually convex on the obverse which better allows them to turn while under force and if turned under force they can be scraped if there are sharp objects in contact with them. This can happen with all orders of machines or even a walker changing directions.

By the way the convexity of most coins causes more than 50% of falling coins to come down obverse first.

Heavymetal, paddyman98 and IanC like this.
  9. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

are these quarters silver?

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

No. There were some Special sets with the S mint mark that are 40% silver but its highly unlikely you would ever find one in circulation.

Spark1951 likes this.
  11. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Having been a CT member for about a week, you may not be aware of Coin Roll Hunting (CRH). All coin rolling machines produce this type of damage, to all denominations. This type of damage has been addressed on Coin Talk thousands of times. If you haven't already, learn to use keywords and search the CT postings to find answers to your questions, it is a great resource for you.

Spark

Draft saved Draft deleted