1976 Bicentennial Medal

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by shawni, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawni

shawni Member

Hello,
    I purchaced a 1976 Bicentennial Medal "Commemorating the Declaration of Independence" and was told that it was silver. After recieving coin and paper's in the mail there is nothing stating what type of medal it was made from. Is there a way to look this kind of information up? I have the "Red Book" but again no information on this coin. I am going to try and attach pic's incase someone knows any information on this medal.

The offical titling on case "1976 Bicentennial Medal Commemorating the Declaration of Independence.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help,
    Shawni

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Augustine1992

Augustine1992 Member

from what I read its 40% silver. Maybe if someone else helps you with this because I have a feeling I have no idea what I'm talking about. lol :D

4. shawni

shawni Member

Thanks for responding... Ya, you and I both! The closest I have came to finding info states that it is 90% but thats not to say that there are more then one metal used for the same coin type.

5. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

If it is the U.S. Mint issue, it's 90% silver . You can check the Mint's Commemorative medals archives . Of course there were many other issues other than the Mint's , so that will be important to note. I just checked on the U.S. Mint's Commemorative archives. It appears that you have a 40% silver piece from other than the mint as the mint did not issue a commem for this occasion .

6. shawni

shawni Member

How would I check to see what mint its from. Is there a mint mark that I should be looking for? Ive really been racking my brain on this one. Thank you for responding.. I dont have much brain left to rack!

7. coinman0456

It's probably from the American Revolution Bicentennial Society . It should be on your paper work. If you don't see U.S. Mint anywhere on your paper work .http://www.soldster.com/price-guide...path=/price-guide/franklin-mint/&category=293 here is another one that was issued. http://www.ioffer.com/i/1972-george-washington-first-day-bicentennial-medal-207278022?source=eisi Here is one just like yours:http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/1976-american-revolution-bicentennial-medal-39252253.htm They may be 1 oz sterling silver .

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I have a total of 14 Bicentennial Commemorative Medals. I'm not sure how many different designs were produced, but I have 6 different ones: the National Bicentennial Medal in gold-plate (?) (4), the National Bicentennial Medal in silver (2), the Committees of Correspondence in sterling silver (1), the First Continental Congress in silver (3), the Declaration of Independence in silver (2) and the Battles of Lexington and Concord in silver (2).

The leaflet that accompanies the National Bicentennial Medals, similar to the one shown above, contains the following passage:

The Administrator, the Board of Directors, and the Advisory Council - the three entities established under Public Law 93-179 to oversee the participation by the Federal Government in the Nation's Bicentennial - have jointly determined that all revenues from the sale of the solid gold medals as well as a portion of the revenues from the 1-1/2" gold-plated medals will be used to create a scholarship fund. The recipients of these scholarships will be formally designated as "Bicentennial Fellows."

These young Americans - the potential leaders of Century III - will have an opportunity to study, to learn, and to gain greater understanding of the quality of life in the United States and, in some instances, to share this learning experience with their counterparts abroad. This sharing of experiences and exchanging of ideas, essential to the birth of this Nation, continues as the challenge in preserving our freedoms in a world growing evermore interdependent.

The revenues received from the sale of the bronze and silver National Bicentennial Medals will be used primarily to fund national, state and community Bicentennial activities.

(Signed)
    John W. Warner
    Administrator

Note: For those of you who don't know, John Warner served as a US Senator from Virginia.

Based on this information, these medals were apparently produced by the US Mint in gold, gold-plate, silver and bronze. Only the Committees of Correspondence Medal specifies that it was struck in sterling silver, and I am assuming that the others are at least 90% silver. The fact that there is no mintmark doesn't mean that they weren't produced in Philadelphia.

As a matter of fact, I have another medal without a mintmark that was produced by the Philadelphia Mint on behalf of the US Capitol Historical Society. It has been authenticated and encapsulated by NGC, and it, too, bears no mintmark.

Chris

9. coinman0456

The Op's medal is similar to that of the U.S. Mint 1976 First Day Cover set , which I have here before me. These of course are not Silver but a Bi-matallic medal with no silver value at all. The difference is, that the OP's copy is dated 1776 on the obverse. So perhaps there is some Silver content in your's however I don't believe it is 90% nor .999 .http://www.mycoincatalog.com/images/auction/62629 3.jpg Here is an example of what you may have, which as I stated earlier, it's probably Sterling Silver which is 92.5 fine. http://www.onlineauction.com/index.php?page=auction:view_item&auction_id=1335553 If the OP would like, I will send them The U.S. Mint First Day Cover U.S. Postal envelope with stamps and the medal along with 1973, 1974, 1975 & 1976 First Day Covers for a nominal cost. It would be a nice addition to complete a short set. 1oz Sterling is valued at about $37.00

10. shawni

shawni Member

I am lost on this one.

Thank you for the responce! The leaflet that came with mine doesn't state anything more then the meaning of the "Obverse" and the "Reverse". Thats another reason I am lost with this. I know that I can find auctions stating some are silver and some that aren't. Some one said that there is a book.. which I could never afford that would say more about the medal called "NATIONAL COMMEMORATIVE MEDALS of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA" which is around $225. I bought the medal of ebay with the seller stating that it was a 1oz silver medal. When I took the coin to my somewhat local coin dealer whom is never really any help. He said that it was fake and that he would sale it for .50 which I am finding hard to believe. I would like to hold onto it if it is silver if not I am going to try and ask for a refund. The other opition the coin shop gave was to scratch the coin and test with acid which I would never want to do. What would you do if you were me.. refund or keep looking?

11. shawni

shawni Member

Thank you for the responce! The leaflet that came with mine doesn't state anything more then the meaning of the "Obverse" and the "Reverse". Thats another reason I am lost with this. I know that I can find auctions stating some are silver and some that aren't. Some one said that there is a book.. which I could never afford that would say more about the medal called "NATIONAL COMMEMORATIVE MEDALS of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA" which is around $225. I bought the medal of ebay with the seller stating that it was a 1oz silver medal. When I took the coin to my somewhat local coin dealer whom is never really any help. He said that it was fake and that he would sale it for .50 which I am finding hard to believe. I would like to hold onto it if it is silver if not I am going to try and ask for a refund. The other opition the coin shop gave was to scratch the coin and test with acid which I would never want to do. What would you do if you were me.. refund or keep looking?

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/showthread.php?t=172692&pagenumber=#ixzz1LItrD4sU

12. coinman0456

Than perhaps what you have is the one I have, which was in the U.S. Mint/USPS First Day Cover stamped Envelopes. These are a bi-mettalic composition, with no real monetary value. He may have replced this coin , in the box that the actual Sterling Silver Proof came in.

13. coinman0456

Look at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-BICENTENNI...&ps=63&clkid=8892903109060893288#ht_696wt_992 If you coin has somewhat of a " Golden " color look, than it is the one as described above, and worth exactly as you dealer stated. I have a set of these that I offered you in a reply above. Them with with original first day cover can be found on ebay, as in this link i posted. How much did the seller charge you for this ? I'd ask for a refund based on the fact that it is not SILVER as advertised. Do it quickly before the clock runs out on your return policy.

14. shawni

shawni Member

I looked at the link you added... thank you. It looks like the same coin but maybe bronze. The one I have looks like its silver.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280661825005&si=yRZy9qsRJis%252BKQZnSyrLpKfjznI%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

The guy thinks I am crazy for not just believing him. He said they were made in all 3 medals.. I might go ahead and ask for a refund and ship it back. I hate over paying.. which I am sure we all do. Thank you for the time and effort. Please keep me in mind if you find out any other info.

15. cpm9ball

Don't listen to that idiot dealer. As a matter of fact, I don't think I'd trust him for anything. Your medal IS silver!

I realize the leaflet included with your medal doesn't have the passage that I quoted. I also have the Declaration of Independence medals as well with the same leaflet as you. That is why I posted the passage (for your benefit) which WAS included with the National Bicentennial Medals that I do have. As I said before, I have 14 of these, and all of them are in the same presentation case like yours.

I'd hang onto it if i were you.

Chris

16. shawni

shawni Member

I forgot to say that it does not have a golden color to it. I payed around $45 for it which would be fine as long as it is silver. Let me know what you think after seeing the post off ebay.. if you dont mind.

17. cpm9ball

I took that for granted. I've seen tons of photos of silver coins (even some of my own) where the white balance wasn't adjusted properly for the lighting and the result is the golden tone.

Chris

18. shawni

shawni Member

Wahoo.. Chris :rollling: just in time.. My hair was falling out by the second try'n to figure this out. Thank you for all the posts.. So final question??? Would you feel good paying $45 for the item that you see in the picture? I just wish that I had something to toss into the case before putting it in the safe so that if there were a day I needed to sale it I would be able to prove it. Maybe Ill print this page and have to look you up in 20 years.. No need to hold your breath. I am what some like to say "A True Blonde". Thanks again for you time and effort!

19. coinman0456

Well look, this is getting ridiculous at this point. Take the Medal to a reputable dealer and find out what you need to find out. Do you have a link to the auction you bought it on ?

20. coinman0456

That is why I asked.

21. shawni

shawni Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280661825005&si=yRZy9qsRJis%252BKQZnSyrLpKfjznI%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
    The coin dealer I took it to was Dale's Coins in Dunedin Fl. Sad to say thats as good as it gets without driving a hour or more. Sorry.. just trying to use all resourses to figure it out. Thank you for your time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.