1976 2 dollar bill w/many stamps

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Griffin18, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Griffin18

Griffin18 New Member

Hey everybody, I have a 2 dollar bill 1976, and it has 3 stamps on it. One stamp says "MAIN OFFICE", the other is "Alexander Graham Bell 13c Telephone Centennial USA", and the third is a date "APR 13 1976 1521"
    It is uncirculated and mint. I have no idea what it is valued at hoping one of you guys could lighten the subject for me.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

gronnh20 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1st. Day issue hand canceled at a post office. 1976 for the bicentennial celebration . Not a lot of value as these were plentiful back in 76. However some like collecting a note from each Federal Reserve district that have been hand canceled.

tommyc03 and Griffin18 like this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I did this myself back in 1976, made up my own. But this one is ugly, covering up the face. I put my stamps over one of the lower two's so as to better see the bill.

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

When a new stamp is issued, the U.S. Post Office would pick a city to issue it from.
    Stamp collectors would like to get a letter with the new stamp cancelled on the first day of issue and from the city of issue. It is called a First Day Cover.
    But as far as I can tell the Telephone Centennial was issued on March 10, 1976.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    tommyc03 likes this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Quite true. But the erroneous dates were a problem way back. Linn's Stamp News would publish the first day of issue information. One would go to the P.O. on the release date, purchase the stamps and then send to the city it was issued in. There was a 30 day grace period to get this done. But on some occasions the first day cancellation device was misplaced or changed and the covers came back in the mail with the wrong date stamped on them. It was very annoying to say the least. I gave this hobby up in the 80's some time when I realized that there was no value at all in modern FDC's. You can purchase FDC's in bulk now for around 10 cents each. Live and learn as with all things.

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Yeah, I still have a small box full of FDC's from the 80's.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted