1976 $2 Bill - Stamp

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Youngcoin, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Hello everybody, my father recently told me he had a bunch of $2 bills he has had forever, so I was looking through them (they are mostly all crisp/perfect no damage whatsoever) and found this one. The bill has a stamp on it along with an ink stamp the ink stamp reads- Aprill 13th, 1976 DRAYTON PLAINS MICH. (Drayton Plains, Michigan) and below it is a 13c stamp. Any input?

20171202_183452.jpg 20171202_183504.jpg
    1512258328251622255901.jpg 1512258414913996641208.jpg

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Guess it was a give away. Google city and date

Youngcoin likes this.
  4. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Those of us that were around back then remember.... When the $2 was announced, there was a "first day of issue" thing with stamps. Many of us got the $2 from the bank, got a current stamp, and went to the post office to have them canceled together. It was a thing. You can find these with many different stamps, a popular one was using one of the 50 state flag stamps.

Youngcoin likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Cool serial number considering the date 76 :)

Youngcoin likes this.
  6. Youngcoin

Thanks everybody! Is it still possible to do?

Thanks,
    Jacob

7. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

They were also cancelled by the Post Office on July 4, 1976 to celebrate the United States 200th birthday.
    2dollar_july4_zps8i6or1tb.jpg

Youngcoin likes this.
  8. Youngcoin

Thanks everyone, I have a question, which Mylar currency sleeve would you recommend? Which ones are safe? I'm currently looking at Amazon and there are a lot of options.

Thanks,
    Jacob

9. techwriter

Jacob: number one --- DO NOT USE plastic holders. Think: MYLAR or an improved mylar product; I can't remember all the trade names. Here's a couple of sources that I know others on this (and other forums) use.

1. http://www.sellitstore.com/
    2. http://www.denlys.com/inventory/holders.asp

10. Youngcoin

Thanks techwriter, I couldn't find any holders/sleeves on sellitstore and on denlys it provides the price and information but not the quantity of holders/sleeves are none of the ones on amazon/eBay safe?

Thanks,
    Jacob

11. techwriter

Draft saved Draft deleted