1975S (no S) Roosevelt dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mario312, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Mario312

Mario312 New Member

I have a 1975S (no S) Roosevelt dime and i wanted to know if you guys can tell me if this could be similar to the 1975S(no S) Roosevelt dime that sold in auction $349,600.00 ^3AFC032894EC61849A03EA724F9BAF38D33615B8EFA1112BEC^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg ^3AFC032894EC61849A03EA724F9BAF38D33615B8EFA1112BEC^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Thank you

I have attached the pictures(originals)
    ^3AFC032894EC61849A03EA724F9BAF38D33615B8EFA1112BEC^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg ^20117E9949155322C55E1B35E595C2291152BC12FC575965C3^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg ^DDAA8FE54DF8E36A7A8E2B0D03399F5CEBE2760ED30FA9EC38^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg ^F03D3E963932D5587515CF0267D06507534FED8B4ABBE788E0^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

and from what this other site i found it is worth alot here it is the link http://www.stacksbowers.com/archivedetail.aspx?productid=1330532

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

The dime in the link is a proof dime which was minted at San Fransisco that didn't get a mint mark. Yours is a basic circulation strike coin which was minted in Philadelphia, which didn't put mint marks on coins prior to the first Susan B Anthony dollar in 1979.

I have a 7 page document that I wrote up concerning this subject, only it was written about the 1968 S (no S) dime. I can provide it to you if you're interested in understanding the difference between your coin and the one in the link.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. Mario312

Mario312 New Member

Please do share the document, i am interested in learning more about this subject.
    Regards

6. Mario312

Mario312 New Member

Thank you for your helpful knowledge phankins11 and Treashunt . So by any chance is this dime not worth more then the actual coin value?

7. phankins11

@Mario312 Your dime is only worth face value, as its been heavily circulated.

@ace71499 Link to document below....

Lets try it this way. I'm not trying to be selfish with it, I just get wordy. I don't want to clutter up the forum with my wordiness. If the any of the forum moderators think this doc is worth adding as a sticky for this subject, by all means go ahead.

I'm not the most polished of writers and I've visited this doc several times in order to proof read and shrink it down as much as possible.

If you have trouble in viewing it let me know. We'll get it shared out one way or another.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzltHIGKNffwMDhRSUVsMUxvLVE/view?usp=sharing

cpm9ball and paddyman98 like this.
  8. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

This has to be the most asked question on this forum. There really should be some type of sticky relevant to the no "S" mint mark coins. If it is nothing more than a timeline of when Philadelphia started using mint marks.

Would this coin be one of those mentioned in that get rich from pocket change book?

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If most of the people who ask this question were more intent on learning about numismatics instead of, "Did I hit the mother lode?", they would quickly learn how to distinguish a proof coin from a circulated coin.

Chris

paddyman98 and gronnh20 like this.
  10. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Is this where we should say "google, google, google"? Or is that the reason this thread got started in the first place?

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. phankins11

Either way my doc should go a long way to teach and clear things up. I'd be interested in feedback from forum members.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  12. gronnh20

That's what I was wondering. So, @Mario312 if and when you come back on, please indulge me, and let me know how you came about the information of the no "S" dime.

Oh yeah welcome to the forum.

13. phankins11

I think this is one of the problems with trying to give a short answer on this, it's not just about mint marks.

14. gronnh20

I bookmarked the document and will read it. Where do you want me to leave feedback?

I agree it's not a short answer. I was also supporting the fact you brought up stickying this particular subject. If the document you wrote up would suffice for the start of the sticky so much the better. Other members could add to the thread. It should be a pretty straightforward subject, unlike, say, doubled dies.

phankins11 likes this.
  15. cpm9ball

It was good of you to take the time to share this information with others. Whether or not it becomes a useful reference is still unknown. I guess the only way we would know is if it were "pinned" to the top along with a continual survey asking readers to respond to a poll.

The only oversight I noted which I think should be added is that you did not mention the other years where "No S" proof coins were produced.

Chris

phankins11 likes this.
  16. phankins11

@gronnh20
    I just have put it out here as a thread out of my fear of it being too long.

@cpm9ball
    I have a note to myself to edit the doc just for that purpose, ading the othe years...just haven't had a chance to do it yet.

I'm not as much worried about knowing the usefulness from everyone, (although I do like to hear if its helpful) as I am knowing from the experienced folks here like yourself if it does the job of conveying the information well enough to be considered worthy of use here on the forum...in a sticky. I do tend to ramble, so I've hesitated sharing in order to keep from putting people to sleep with it.

17. cpm9ball

Submit it to Peter and see what he says!

Chris

18. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I started to read it but, IMO, it got too wordy and started off in the wrong direction.

As Chris stated earlier, it's all about knowing the difference between a proof coin and a business strike and then reading the text of the various 1975 No S Listings which specifically state that its a "Proof" Coin that is missing the "S"..

Secondary to that is the generation of collectors who are completely unaware that the "P" Mintmark did not appear regularly on US Coinage until 1980.

19. phankins11

@19Lyds thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by "went the wrong direction?"

I cover both the mint mark issue and the proof topic in there but in the opposite order you mentioned.

I just start off with the mint mark discussion first because that is typically what new members seem to grab onto, the fact that their coin doesn't have a mint mark.

I do have some ideas on how to cut the wordyness of it down, so I'm going to go do that.

If you feel like it let me know what you meant.

20. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I would have started with the fact that these "No S" coins are ALWAYS "proof coins" with a quick mention of the fact that Philadelphia did not begin using mint marks until 1979 and that Lincoln Cents STILL don't get a mint mark.

I know what you are trying to say but there are just too many words used to say what can be said in only a couple of paragraphs.

For example, a detailed oratory on Mint Marks is probably unnecessary since literally every one of the folks which ask about their Business Strike Coins already knows about mint marks otherwise they wouldn't be asking about their coin.

The fact that ALL Proof coins since 1968 should have an S Mint mark would have sufficed.

Often times, too many words loses readers who are looking for a quick answer.
    But then, everybody knows I'm reading challenged anyway.

phankins11 likes this.
  21. phankins11

You are right here...I'm reading challenged too...so this is what I knew was my problem with my writing.

My only thing with this subject is that a quick answer on it only creates more questions. But I know and agree with what you're saying. I appreciate your feedback. I'm currently re-writing and will post here to see how it reads.

Draft saved Draft deleted