1975 silver penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Pride Hunter, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

yep, it plated with something. it still is a cool looking coin!:thumb: its not worth anything over a cent, but if it were a cent on a dime plachet it would have been worth around $250. if it were a dime plachet a vending machine should have accepted it for a dime.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The USPS is discontinuing vending machines in post offices. The one at my post office has already been removed.

Are there other vending machines that still accept cents? I remember a gum machine in my grandfather's barber shop that accepted cents in the '60s and well into the '70s. But I doubt you can by a gum ball for a cent anymore.

4. alpha480v

alpha480v Senior Member

It looks plated or coated with something to me.

5. lalala

lalala New Member

I think that I have the same exact penny as you. I found it a few years ago and just today decided to try and look it up. This is really the only thing that popped up. But yeah mine is really shiny too. Can someone help me out?

6. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Need to see pics of it. But, 99% sure it's going to be plated or the result of a school experiment.

7. lalala

lalala New Member

trying to figure out how to upload pictures

8. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

:eek: icon_smile_pics.gif

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Don't panic. If this is what it is, the mercury is bound -- "amalgamated", or alloyed -- into the surface. The only way to get a toxic amount out of it would be to dissolve it chemically (using strong acids), or to head it enough to drive the mercury off ("heat with a torch", not "warm in your hand").

10. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Old thread but clearly some people never zinc coated cents in chemistry (turn them silver, then heated to turn them gold). This one looks like it only got the zinc coating and was never heated. Same thing that was done to this copper round below zinc coating it.
    DSCF3299.jpg DSCF3301.jpg

11. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Ahh, yo found my chemistry experiment.

12. Eyesla

Eyesla New Member

I also have a 1975 Silver penny exactly like the one Pride Hunter is describing in my small coin collection,I also no nothing about it.

13. Kaci

Kaci New Member

I have one of these without a mint marking, what does this mean?

14. Kacci

Kacci New Member

I have one of these I have just found in my Grandfathers coin collection, it has no mint mark. What does that mean?

15. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It just means that it was minted at Philadelphia.

Kacci likes this.
  16. CraKa

CraKa New Member

17. CraKa

CraKa New Member

I have this penny that has been very well taken care of and stored in a very small ziplock bag.

18. CraKa

CraKa New Member

I guess it could be plated. I think it's uncirculated. It weighs 3.3 grams.

19. smarch

smarch Active Member

I am elated to agree it's plated.

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Here is a selection of "gold" pennies my high school students made. If they stopped at the zinc plating stage, they would have had "silver" pennies. gold penny.JPG

21. CraKa

CraKa New Member

Can anyone please give me some advice about how I can find out about this penny!?

Draft saved Draft deleted