1975 silver penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Pride Hunter, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Pride Hunter

Pride Hunter New Member

I have come across a 1975 silver penny given to me as change as a dime. It wouldn't work in a vending machine and when I took a closer look I seen it said one cent. The date is 1975 with a D below it. It seems to be in fair condition for a penny over 30 years old. It is a very shiny silver. My camera cant focus on it because it is so shiny it just blurs the image. It has the E PLURIBUS UNUM above the building on the back. I have done several searches on this but am not finding much info. Any help would be apreciated. THNX!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

I have never heard of a 1975 Silver penny, maybe some of the more knowledgeable members have. Could it possibly be Silver Plated?

Regards,
    S

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. cesariojpn

cesariojpn Coin Hoarder

5. bigjohn

bigjohn New Member

Maybe a planchet error. Are there any part of a dime showing ?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Where did you find a vending machine that accepts cents?

7. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

He didn't, I believe that is why he took a closer look and realized it wasn't a dime because the vending machine wouldn't accept it since it was a cent.

8. Numi 63

Numi 63 New Member

cesariojpn may have your answer for you in the link he has provided. Although this is highly unlikely to be the case. If it where you may be holding alot of money in your hand. That is unless the feds really do have a greater interest in them. In that case it may still be worth alot of $ but it would be consdered illegal currency.

I guess it would be more likely that it is a penny minted on a dime planchet. This would still be a great find and well worth hanging onto.

If you want to learn more about the alluminum cent, check out the book "Coins & Prices" A Guide to U.S., Canadian and Mexican Coins. I found the 2003 edition at my local library.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. cesariojpn

cesariojpn Coin Hoarder

The Post Office Vending Machines accepts Pennies.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

More likely it is a Lincoln cent struck on a dime planchet.

If so, very collectible.

And, welcome to the forum.

11. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Not likely. Every world coin collector knows that aluminum coins do not look like silver. Even when new they have a dull coloration.

Pride Hunter, what are the diameter and weight of your coin? That information will go a long way is determining what kind of planchet it is on.

12. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

13. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

If "IN GOD WE TRUST", the "L" in "LIBERTY", "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" and "ONE CENT" are right on the rim or overlapped by the rim (meaning the portion of the Lettering near the rim may be partially missing), the it is probably a Cent struck on a Dime Planchet as Treashunt stated!

If you can't post a picture, then have the coin weighed in grams and measure the diameter in Millimeters (Pawn Shops and Jewelry Stores will be able to do this for you) and post the weight and diameter here.

Frank

14. vlcnrydr

vlcnrydr keepin' em raw**

Does it look like this?

1975 Lincoln Cent.jpg

15. Pride Hunter

Pride Hunter New Member

Coin

Thanks for all your help so far. I don't think it is aluminum as it is too heavy for that. Yes- The wording and the L in Liberty is right against the rim. It appears to be the same size as a regular penny but the material is identicle (silver and shiny) to a dime. Not knowing much on coins I would consider it in very good shape with all the markings very clear and visible. Even the markings on the building on the back that are not usually noticable are very clear.I will try to get a weight and maybe get someone with a better camera to get a picture. THNX!!!!!

Yes vlcnrydr it looks just like the one on the right but more shiny and cleaner.

16. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

First off nice find! :thumb: It could be two things that I could think of 1. it is plated, 2. you have a cent struck on a dime planchet! If it is number two, then you have something there. Let us know what the weight is when you get it! :thumb:
    Best of luck.

Phoenix :cool:

17. vlcnrydr

vlcnrydr keepin' em raw**

I had asked about this coin in another group. This is the answer I received:

"If you have a good scale, weight the coin and see if it is light. If so
    you may have one that never got the copper plating. If it is the right
    weight, then it may be one that has been rubbed with Mercury to make it
    slick and silver shinny. Used to do that as a kid before we found out
    how bad Mercury was for you and the enviroment."

BTW welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn!

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Problem with that - 1975 cents do not have copper plating, they are solid copper alloy.

19. Pride Hunter

Pride Hunter New Member

Pics

A few pics. Sorry for the quality, it is actually very smooth. I will get a weight tomorrow. Now I find myself looking at all my change!:yawn:

Attached Files:

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It looks like a plated coin to me.

Cazador and John Johnson like this.
  21. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I somewhat agree but it also might be rubbed with Mercury! If it is Mercury, then you really don't want to be touching the coin much and make sure that you wash your hands.

Frank

Draft saved Draft deleted