1975 Penny on a dime planchet?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rollencode, May 6, 2020.

1. Rollencode

Rollencode New Member

First time post and new to coin collecting. Today while going through some penny rolls I located this penny. From it's appearance I believe it is possibly a 1975 penny printed on a dime planchet. The color of the coin is between the color of a penny and a dime, and the sides of the penny are smooth with no ridges like a dime has. I hope I have described it properly. Below are some photos of the penny. Please be gentle....as I said I know nothing about coin collecting. For all I know I have a regular penny that has been subjected to a chemistry experiment that I have previously read about. Any information that you provide to me would be greatly appreciated. 20200503_131141.jpg 20200503_131225.jpg 20200503_131343.jpg 20200503_131426.jpg 20200503_131610.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Plated. It's a spender.
    I just pulled a 1974P plated coin out of a box I searched last night.

4. Rollencode

Rollencode New Member

Furry thank you for responding. As I said I am so green to this to this that I don't know the correct lingo yet. By your response I am guessing someone plated it and as a "spender" it is worth nothing.... :-(

Kentucky and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

If that middle coin was struck on a Dime Planchet it would be the same size, width and weight of a normal dime. It doesn't look like it is any of those things.. Got it?

I agree with plated..

Worth? 1 Cent

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. Rollencode

Rollencode New Member

Thank you so much for the replies. I am learning a lot by reading the forums and I must say I am quite intrigued by the coin collecting community. I may have to keep my "spender" penny as the coin that started my fire in coin collecting.

-jeffB, Kentucky and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

To be fair, it only cost you a penny. Nothing wrong with that.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Damaged as it's plated.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And would also show the three layer composition on the edge that the dime does.

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. Jay Medina

Jay Medina New Member

11. Jay Medina

Jay Medina New Member

ITS NICE coin you have,,. i have 1973 d but i dont know if theres a meaning of the DOT in the top of lincolns head,maybe you this one

12. Jay Medina

Jay Medina New Member

ITS NICE coin you have,,. i have 1973 d but i dont know if theres a meaning of the DOT in the top of lincolns head,maybe you this one

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

OK, you have photo?

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Start your own unique separate thread. With pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted