1975 Mexico Medal (more info please)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Jan 31, 2019.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hey everyone!

Just picked up this pretty cool medal at a local auction this weekend, and I'm having a really difficult time finding more info on it.

Mexico - 1975 Medal.jpg

Date: 1975
    Mint: Mexico City
    Composition: Silver (unsure what percentage)

Side 1:
    "Conmemorativa de la Moneda Mexicana"
    "1810-1821"
    "Amonedacion del Generalisimo Jose Mo Morelos"

Side 2:
    "Mexico 1536 Primum Numisma Americae"
    "Guerra de Independencia"
    "Sociedad Numismatica de Mexico"

Both sides highlight the 1811 8 Reales struck in Oaxaca under General Morelos during the War of Independence.

I've found an eBay listing from this seller for an NGC MS68 and contacted them to see if they had more information (like, mintage, silver content, etc.) - but they didn't know anything more about the item they were selling than the title of the listing. NGC shows a population of one MS68 and one MS69.

Apparently there is a book on Mexican Numismatic Society Medals, but it ends in 1972.

Is anyone familiar with this medal and willing to provide some more information or point me in the right direction? I'm keeping it (won't be resold) but I just want to put some correct information (including value) on the flip.

mlov43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

That's so weird...I was on that exact site and couldn't find this specific page. Google, why you treat me so bad?

So, 90% silver, mintage of 1,000 pieces, selling for about $105. Got it. I think I did well for $19 then. :)

mlov43 and Mr. Flute like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted