1975 Lincoln Penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Slobberknockers, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Slobberknockers

Slobberknockers New Member

I am new to the hobby and my grandfather gave me a handful of old coins years ago that I just held on to. I recently started to go thru them and noticed the following.

I have a 1975 Lincoln penny that to the left of his head is an imprint of what looks like the Liberty Bell and on the right of his head is an imprint of the USA with the letters U.S.A. imprinted inside of the USA outline imprint.

I have never seen this before and was just wondering if at somepoint an individual may have done this or if this is something unique.

thanks!

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

okay:
    1) welcome.
    2) this is a post mint (done outside the mint) punching to the coin.
    NO value.

4. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

It's not super common, but definitely not unique. There are a number of organizations and individuals who stamp symbols, letters, and designs on coins - usually but not always cents - for their own political, self-aggrandizement, or other purposes.

After being defaced, the coins are permanently fixed at face value, unless of course they are demonetized and become worth only a discounted metallic value. Very sad.

5. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

got a 1976 cent with the outline of texas on it. they made them becuase of the bicentinal. they also stamped the man on the moon on the 1969 cents. no value over face, but still neat!:cool:

6. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Welcome. True it is post Mint addition. Many are out there. Some people now collect those. Not really anything worth a lot but if your interested, you could start a collection of them.

7. Caderobinson

Caderobinson New Member

I came across a 1943 copper penny just now how much is it worth

8. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Pictures or it never happened.

9. Regina Zimmerman

Regina Zimmerman New Member

edited - read the rules !

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2017
  10. Kim1230

Kim1230 New Member

How much are red seal two dollar bills worth?

11. iceberg

iceberg New Member

I have a couple of those, they both are dated 1974. One has a pipe and a couple of smoke rings stamped in to it. I picked this up somewhere in Chicago during one of our teenage roadtrips. This is a real penny. The second one has the state of Wa. stamped into it. This I found in 1978 over in Korea while sitting in a foxhole during training maneuvers, kind of buried half way in the dirt. I don't know if it's a real penny or not, it's super shiney and more of a golden color, probably a token of some sort.

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Wow, talk about a tossed salad of a thread...

Stevearino likes this.
  13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

$2 and up, depending on condition and date. If it is 1953 or 1963 it will need to be crisp uncirculated to be worth more than $2.

14. iceberg

iceberg New Member

:) :) :) You are so right, I thought I had included the original posting when I posted my reply so as not to confuse the reader what the heck I was talking about, guess I didn't..

15. Latrice Tucker

Latrice Tucker New Member

I have one of those too. I myself wondering what the value is?

16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

These are what is called a counterstamp. They are a novelty piece.
    I get them in change all the time. So they are worth face value.

Stevearino likes this.
  17. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT. Pictures will get you experienced answers, no pictures, non important guesses only, if any. Good luck

Stevearino likes this.
  18. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

A 1943 copper penny...??? Hmmm. Love to see THAT one!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  19. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

Need to get photos, or it never happened.

20. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Is there a way to disable these 13 year old threads full of one and done random posts?
    I realize that the threads will live forever in search engine indices for all to find, but once clicked on, maybe these 'oldies' could include a citation such as 'this thread is no longer active - please sign up to CT and submit your post to an active thread or create your own'.

21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Old, old, old, post. For you new members, start your own post with photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted