1975 Lincoln Cent Possible DDO or Double Punched?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Prospector, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Prospector

Prospector Member

I found this one the other day searching bank rolls and not sure what is going on wth it but there is clear doubling in some spots both Obverse and Reverse but the whole penny looks like a severe mint error. Any thoughts?

Everything on the reverse has the same style of doubling with very distinct doubling in the words ONE CENT.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micheldura2

micheldura2 Senior Member

I would like to see the reverse...I have not seen anything like this before...his face looks like it might have been dipped in a chemical of some kind...I don't know about the date...could be post mint damage?

4. Prospector

Prospector Member

same penny of the reverse

More pictures

Attached Files:

5. micheldura2

A better shot of ONE CENT would be good...but my guess would be die deterioration.

6. Prospector

Prospector Member

The whole coin front and back looks like it was minted under extreme heat for some reason, there is alot of doubling on some letters and the date and a very bumpy-course surface.

7. Prospector

Prospector Member

Another shot

More, there's no mention of it in the Cherrypicker's price guide.

Attached Files:

8. Prospector

Prospector Member

No, it isn't post mint damage. It's almost like the surface was too hot when it was minted and caused wrinkling in the layer of copper when it was minted. The coin is in very good condition otherwise. Everything is just doubled everywhere incliding Lincoln's head and the Memorial on the reverse. I'll try for a better shot of the date.

9. micheldura2

Anyone else see the doubling? I am not sure, but I do see something around lincoln's head also. I haven't heard of anything on coppercoins from 1975...you might have something there...someone with more knowledge than I will let you know more. I am still a baby at this...wahhhhhh!!! have fun...it is exciting when you find something that is different than the rest isn't it? I believe we learned that on Sesame Street!!!

Dj67 likes this.
  10. Prospector

Prospector Member

Pistures of the date

More

Attached Files:

11. Prospector

Prospector Member

Indeed, I'm just learning as well and it has been fun.

Dj67 likes this.
  12. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Looks like a mixture of die deterioration and machine doubling.

Cwbyfrmhllxx likes this.
  13. Cwbyfrmhllxx

Cwbyfrmhllxx Member

I Have one similar

Attached Files:

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Looks like the die was getting ready to die...

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The first coin looks like a gas torch was used on the surface , the torch heat liquedfied the surface layer and the gas pressure produced the wave formation. The dies do not get anywhere near hot enough to cause change from a solid. PMD I believe.

16. MrCoins101

MrCoins101 Active Member

Looks like a mixer of DD and DDD ... In other words since none of us in here are probably certified experts what that means is its . Doubled die mixed with Die deterioration . But I wouldn't know for certain unless I examined it closely under a magnifier . And the funny thing is I just found a 1975 Lincoln cent tonight that has CLEAR doubling in the word TRUST ... So these might actually be a overlooked new discovery that hasn't been recorded yet .

IMG_20180929_000525306.jpg IMG_20180929_000008585.jpg IMG_20180929_000012638.jpg IMG_20180928_235942083.jpg

17. Fredrum

Fredrum New Member

Strike through grease canobliterate thw surface of a coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted