1975 D GOLD Error Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Gamerzilla2012, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Gamerzilla2012

Gamerzilla2012 New Member

I was digging through my drawers one day and stumbled upon an oddly tinted penny. I had tried to research some information, but no useful data was found...

I had heard possibly that a private company may have gold-tinted a large batch of pennies in '74/'75, but have not come up with any results matching to my particular penny. It's stamped 1975 with a D mint mark, and I have pictures below showing the color difference of it between other pennies. If someone could tell me exactly what it is I have and the value that would be great! :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] ___Front has some small scratches... ____ Reverse side has copper-like spots/stains.

____________ [​IMG]
    _____ Coin compared to a modern, and a pre-'82 penny to show coloration difference.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Gamerzilla2012 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's possible that someone tried to use a chemical to clean it. Can you give us better close-ups?

Chris

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It's either a science experiment OR plated with something OR cleaned. Regardless, It's worth 1 cent.

6. alicechaos

alicechaos Junior Member

I have a cent just like that; can't find it at the moment. I don't exactly recall what I did to it but it probably involved MS70, Nic-a-tone, jewelry cleaner, a touch of Guerlain Shalimar and then a good roasting tucked inside a foil-wrapped olive-oiled potato at 350 for 3 hours.

Gamerzilla2012 likes this.
  7. Gamerzilla2012

Gamerzilla2012 New Member

MMMmmmm! :)

alicechaos likes this.
  8. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Better eating through chemistry :)

alicechaos likes this.
  9. mistercklier

mistercklier New Member

It's a science experiment. I did this in school. I cant remember what chemical we used to do it tho.

10. mistercklier

mistercklier New Member

These direction assume you have access to science materials. However, I think you could alter these directions based on what you have available. (ie. instead of a hot plate use your stove and instead of a Bunsen burner you could use an open flame of some sort.) Also please note I did not make up this experiment, I am just explaining an experiment I performed which demonstrates chemical reactions.

Introduction:
    Pennies made after 1983 have a zinc core with a copper coating. Pennies made before 1983 are an alloy of 95% copper and 5% zinc. Modern pennies are lighter than older pennies, and are less expensive to make. This experiment will show what happens when a copper coin reacts with zinc and zinc chloride. Some of the zinc will “dissolve” in the copper of the penny. Then you’ll heat your penny. This will allow the copper atoms in the penny to move around, and will result in a mixture of copper and zinc on the surface of the penny. This is an alloy called “yellow brass.” Please after doing this process, don’t try to spend the pennies.
    Materials needed
    Hot Plate
    Bunsen burner
    25-mL graduates cylinder
    2 250mL beakers
    Long Tongs
    Mossy Zinc
    3 Molar NaOH solution
    Two pennies- dated after 1982-
    Here is how you do it.
    Directions:

1. Plug in the hotplate and set it for a medium high setting.
    2. While the hotplate comes to temperature, weigh out .5g sample of zinc and obtain 15mL sample of sodium hydroxide solution and carefully pour both into beaker.
    3. Put this solution onto the hotplate, when it comes to temperature, and wait until the solution starts to bubble.
    4. Then adjust hotplate to keep the solution just bellow boiling.
    5. Add your pennies to the hot solution carefully.
    6. Move the pennies around until they have a uniform silver color. Then flip them to make sure both sides are silver.
    7. Fill the other beaker with 25mL distilled water.
    8. After the pennies are “silver”, using the tongs carefully remove them from hot solution and add them to other beaker filled with distilled water. Turn hotplate off.
    9. Then, rinse and dry coins with paper towel.
    10. Holding the coin edge to edge and vertically with tongs, heat them over the Bunsen burner’s outer cone. Heat until the coin looks entirely gold and then for an additional 3 seconds. Do not overheat.
    11. Immediately immerse the coin the in the second beaker of water.
    12. Repeat steps for the remaining coin(s).
    13. Then Remove coins from water and dry them.
    Remember to wash your hands to remove any acid.
    What Happened
    When you heated the coins, the zinc combined with copper forming a bronze coating. Because the bronze is high in zinc, your coin looks “gold.”

That’s it, you know have a “gold penny,” obviously it’s not real gold but it’s cool to whip out a gold looking penny for your buddies.

Draft saved Draft deleted