"1975 coin" - and ebay scam

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Numismat, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Coin-/262148820158?hash=item3d09498cbe:g:n3AAAOSwI-BWP-ZW&nma=true&si=ve%2B7GfmCBoAVkaXfTDFSt1iAXSQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Photos stolen from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1795-1795-Flowing-Hair-Half-Dollar-Recut-Date-2-Leaves-Variety-PCGS-VF-Details-/201465158868?hash=item2ee8425cd4:g:F5UAAOSwu4BVuoT5&nma=true&si=ve%2B7GfmCBoAVkaXfTDFSt1iAXSQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This is a pretty brazen attempt considering the original listing can still be seen in completed items. Looks like an attempt crafted at getting someone to think they found a mistake from someone that doesn't know what they have and an opportunity to snag a big payday.
    From past threads it appears opinions are split on whether or not such people deserve to get scammed or not. No one bit, but if it had gotten bid up to real values it would have been a shame.

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Nice catch. Listing was ended. Did you contact seller? I wonder why the listing was ended so quickly after this thread was created... hmmm.

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

This wasn't a very bright crook...

ddollard58, Endeavor and Numismat like this.
  5. Rhoowl

Rhoowl Member

Well. This seller has a 0 rating.....and their selling a 1795 coin...notice he called it a 1975 coin .can't believe people bid 300 for it....

Endeavor likes this.
  6. Numismat

Thanks, it actually ended shortly before I made this thread.

Luckily no one bid on it.

Endeavor likes this.
  7. Endeavor

It would have taken someone really gullible to believe that a seller with zero feedback and incorrectly titled date is a coincidence. However, if not for someone like @Numismat checking past listings, proof of likely deception would have not been found.

What's really interesting is that the original listing ended without a sale (on November 17th). So who has the coin???

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  8. Santinidollar

Maybe there was no coin to begin with. Just a picture of a coin.

Endeavor likes this.
  9. Endeavor

And this is why eBay is so buyer biased in disputes. Cause of scums like this.

ddollard58 likes this.
  10. Numismat

This reminds me of an ebay scam that went viral a while ago. The listing title had something like "Xbox box" in it, at a time when it first came out and was a hot item. Someone bid full price and received just the empty box. Seller tried to justify that the item is as described

11. Numismat

I had a little fun and messaged the seller:

Dear mestamarga,

Hi,
    I wanted to bid on the listing titled "1975 Coin" but I missed it. Can I still buy this coin from you?
    Thanks.

The reply:

Yes u can how much??

- mestamarga

Santinidollar and rooman9 like this.
  12. Endeavor

You should reply... I looked up values for a 1975 circulation strike half dollar with wear and found that a fair offer is 50 cents.

EDIT: Change to half dollar from quarter

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

including postage

Endeavor likes this.
  14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

And NOW it's back up.

Relisted.

15. Santinidollar

And it's not the only item he's selling. I particularly like the 1969 penny advertised as an error. Looks like Amtrak ran over it.

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Among the dumb which this seller is wallowing in, is the fact that as a new seller Paypal is going to hold his money until confirmed delivery at least. He obviously has no coin, so he can't ship anything.

Endeavor and Numismat like this.
  17. Numismat

Yes I was thinking the same thing. He won't be able to take the money and run even if someone goes for it.

Endeavor likes this.
  18. Santinidollar

Listing has vanished again....

Endeavor likes this.
  19. Endeavor

Now he has nothing listed. Looks like it all got taken down.

Santinidollar likes this.
  20. Numismat

Looks like that account has been booted, good job to everyone that reported it.

Santinidollar and Endeavor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted