1974 Washington quarter with both sides head? Fake or Real?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Write2bfree, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Write2bfree

Write2bfree Active Member

Again I am attempting to see if this one is real or fake. Hopefully, you guys won't bash on me too hard this time. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Chances are its fake unless you are one of the luckiest people on earth. Get a 30x loop check the edges for cut marks,check weight and if you still think there is a chance send it in because if its real you just became one lucky son of a gun :)

Write2bfree likes this.
  4. Write2bfree

Thank you. Also, would you happen to know what weight it should be around?

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Fake. Second picture shows how the Reverse was machined into a shell then the Obverse of another Quarter was machined to fit into the shell. I collect these type of coins known as Magicians Coins or just known as novelty coins.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Smack it against a table and listen for the sound, and if need be compare to any plain clad. This should only help to confirm what Paddy has already said.

7. eric6794

Roughly 5.67 grams but paddy is right I see the cut now

8. Write2bfree

Sounds like all the other quarters I banged on the table.

Can you tell me where is the cut on the quarter so I can try to take a picture. Thank you.

9. eric6794

2nd photo west of igwt is where I see machine marks. I'm on my cellphone so it's a small picture but I can see it

10. Write2bfree

I looked at it in every angle in that area and used a zoom with the camera with a magnifying glass under it and all I see are scratches from wear and tare. I also did the coin test with another 1974, same sound. I guess I should weigh it.

11. Write2bfree

But after reading an article, it seems 99.9% it is a fake since it seems almost impossible for something like it to get out.

coinman1234 and paddyman98 like this.
  12. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Yup, it is virtually impossible for that to happen. To my knowledge not even one real one has ever been reported from the trillions of coins minted by the US.

13. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

Who the heck has that much time on their hands to make something like that? Good learning experience anyway.

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Head/head I'm not sure (other than an IHC iirc), but US tail/tail do exist, a couple quarters and a dime or perhaps it's one of each. Either way though it's probably a pretty safe bet to say that they, as with many other off-the-wall "errors", had a little "helping hand" if you know what I mean.

Mark Oliver likes this.
  15. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Here it is zoomed in. See how it looks like it has a double rim? It was cut out and another was placed inside. Just go to any magic website and you can buy them. quarterrim.png

16. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Not so good -GOOD PULG 0108.jpg PULG 0109.jpg

17. ronvb

ronvb New Member

I actually have a few of these including a clad one that is two reverses. The one I like the most is a 1922 silver peace dollar with two obverses!It was a real surprise to me when I found the quarter with two tails in circulated change.
    ronvb

Stevearino likes this.
  18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Isn't there a sticky about this :p

19. Write2bfree

I weighed the quarter and it came out to 5.54 grams

20. Write2bfree

Also I got a better magnifying glass and will check that area later tonight. I even tried to find a manufacturer on ebay/google/alibaba, etc and none of them makes double headed coins exactly like the one I have. Also this coin has been with my family for 25 years so does that mean there could have been someone in the 80s who made this coin? Seriously, he/she must have been amazing with their hands.

21. Write2bfree

One more note, the side of the coin has that half cooper/brown and steel color that you would see normally on quarters.

Draft saved Draft deleted