1974 US nickel error?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by greg10, May 10, 2005.

1. greg10

greg10 New Member

I just found a 1974 US nickel in a jar of change. I have no idea when I got it. Anyhow, it looks brand new, as if it were kept out of circulation. The odd part about it is the raised bump on the back of the coin. It is square in the middle and raises just above the rim of the nickel. I was just curious if anyone knew of this imperfection or had any information about the coin. I've had no luck so far finding anything about it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy greg10 - Welcome to the Forum !!

We'd need pictures of the coin to be able to offer any help.

4. greg10

greg10 New Member

image.jpg

I forgot about posting this question a few years ago until I googled about the coin in question and found this thread. Anyhow, here's a picture of the coin. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. - Greg

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Greg, your first post is from 2005. You've been around here longer than I have. You've been trying to figure this out for the last 8 years? I don't know what it is, I'm sorry. But I'm very honored to give you your first "Like" for your persistence. :)

6. greg10

greg10 New Member

Eddie,

That is brilliant. Thanks! I actually did forget about posting back then. Didn't realize it was in 2005.

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Are you in a hurry for an answer? Can I get back to you later?

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Greg, this is what I know. It's in the shape of a "cud." That's the vernacular for a major break of the die that stuck out the coin. The reverse die was broken. But this is what's wrong with that theory. That area is very well protected on the die. It's all recessed; the lowest area on the die. One wouldn't think anything would break off there.

Tell you what you need to really resolve this. Get us clear pictures of both that reverse and the obverse. It wouldn't hurt to provide clear closeups of the area, too. Honestly, from your picture, I'm not even sure if that's the same metallic composition as the coin.

And get them to us sooner than 8 years from now. Sorry, just had to get that in. ;)

9. greg10

greg10 New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Eddie,

Thanks getting back to me. I attached three photos, I hope they are up at least, that are a bit detailed. My thought is that it's a cud, too. I thought it would have been pulled at the mint before making it to the public.

Attached Files:

10. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

In my opinion, it is something done post mint. The huge contrast between the color and overall appearance makes me think this. It seems to me someone has soldered it or something similar, possibly to attach it to something.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree with Greg......probably solder.

A cud is a break on the rim that extends into the field. This would just be considered a die break....if it were one.

Chris

12. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I knew I would get ya!

13. cpm9ball

What?

14. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Huh?

15. cpm9ball

You must be having a "Senior Moment".

Chris

16. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I forgot to take my Alzheimer's medicine.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  17. greg10

greg10 New Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Since that one was apparently so easy that even the old geezers got it, how about this coin? Also from the magical jar of old coins. Any idea of its origami and worth? image.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I knew you could make origami from currency but I never heard of making origami from a coin.

Origami047.jpg

19. lakota13

lakota13 New Member

I agree with gbroke but..... it could be a 'cud' defective die - A coin showing raised metal from a large die crack, or small rim break

20. greg10

greg10 New Member

Haha. The perils of autocorrect. I bet a strongman can bend a coin into origami...

21. greg10

greg10 New Member

Thanks, Lakota. I'm taking the coin to a shop tomorrow. Hopefully I'll know what it is with their help.

Draft saved Draft deleted