1974 'something'

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Docksy, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Docksy

Docksy New Member

A buddy of mine and I were talking about the coins we own, when I decided to look mine up on eBay, and to my dismay, no amount of word combination gave me the coin I have. I suppose I could look it up in google, but I'm sure I'd have the same problem, and plus it wouldn't give me an estimate price range.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Katze151/1974.png

I'm not really interested in selling it, I'd just like to know where its from and an estimated value.

Thank you for your time! :)

~Docksy

EDIT: My friend did a little digging, and one of the words on my coin is actually Mormon in origin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Deseret so I believe this may be a hint.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rdwarrior

rdwarrior Junior Member

It is just a 1 ounce "silver round" Not really a coin. Its value is at least the spot value of silver. $35.90 currently
    It has the words "pure silver" in 6 languages around the perimeter.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

As rdwarrior said, it's a silver round rather than a coin. It's hard to say which private mint struck it, but it does relate to Utah and/or the Mormons. Utah is nicknamed the Beehive State and that is represented as the central device on the one side.

Did you look on the edge to see if the name of the company that produced it is imprinted?

Chris

5. Docksy

Docksy New Member

Oh so that's what the words were XD Thank you.

No I didn't happen to look at the edge, but next time I take my rounds down I'll be sure to look there. Do they print the company on rounds often like that?

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

At current price, you have $36.00 worth of silver.

7. Docksy

Docksy New Member

Thank you very much BU :)

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The Letcher Mint produced a long series of these International Silver Trade Units rounds from 1973 to 1981 ( I believe). I hadn't seen yours, but have seen some on eBay and at shows. They are collectibles and usually are about $10-20 above silver value, depending on the dies. I have never owned one though. My best guess.

Jim

9. Docksy

Docksy New Member

@desertgem I saw a few on eBay as well, which is why I was concerned that I hadn't found mine either. Do you think the Letcher Mint would have a database or a log of the prints somewhere?

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Well this post from a different website by a member (Ripley) who is here also, does mention the Letcher mint. True or not ?? But fun and interesting none the less. Google is your friend. :) I am also of the opinion it is defunct.

One source gives this as their mint mark:
    LM - Letcher Mint, USA.

http://coinspace.org/forum/posts/id_2059/title_Scandal-coins/

Jim

11. Docksy

Docksy New Member

Cute read nonetheless XD

Draft saved Draft deleted