1974 Silver 50 cent piece

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Roudy1968, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Roudy1968

Roudy1968 Junior Member

whats the chances of having a 1974 silver 50 cent piece that is not s minted

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roudy1968

Roudy1968 Junior Member

4. Roudy1968

Roudy1968 Junior Member

not an s series

5. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

To my knowledge, there were no silver half dollars struck in 1974, proof or business strike.

Chris

Troodon likes this.
  7. onecenter

onecenter Member

Silver was eliminated from the Kennedy half dollar in 1971. 1974 was an all clad mintage.

Troodon likes this.
  8. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

You have a better chance of hitting the powerball lottery!

9. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

What about proof sets? Were there special Silver Proof sets for 1974 from San Francisco? Below are descriptions from Heritage auctions. 90%???

Attached Files:

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What are the chances? ZERO!!!

Troodon likes this.
  11. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Only thing I can think of is an error in the listing.

Since 1971, the first silver proof set was the Bicentennial, 40% silver proof set (that only had the quarter, dollar, and half dollar), minted in San Francisco from 1975 to 1976, and dated 1776-1976.

Then they minted silver proof sets again from 1992-2018 in 90% silver, then starting last year they started minting silver proof sets in 99.9% silver.

There's no way in 1974 they would have silver planchets anywhere in the San Francisco Mint or anywhere else.

12. bruthajoe

Multiple errors multiple listings? Here's a link to one of them. If it is in fact silver should it not say silver on the slab? Sorry I forgot to put the link here it is...

https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-kenn...BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    ripple likes this.
  13. ripple

ripple Active Member

I’ve got a 76 set that is part silver, bicentennial I think. I’ll hunt it up. None in circulation coins that I know of.

Troodon and bruthajoe like this.
  14. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

There were no silver half dollars made in 1974. S mint or otherwise.

15. bruthajoe

16. bruthajoe

17. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Any mistake that can be made once can be made multiple times. And the slab doesn't say it's silver... because it isn't. (And slabs typically don't say "silver" unless it normally wouldn't be silver. For example, a 1964 Kennedy half won't say "silver" because that's already the default assumption. But a 1992 Kennedy silver proof would be labeled as silver.)

That coin is definitely a copper-nickel clad half dollar. A very nice one though.

bruthajoe and ripple like this.
  18. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

There was two silver bicentennial sets they made: a proof one, and an uncirculated (business strike one). Both only have the quarter, half dollar, and dollar, in 40% silver. (Bicentennial coins also were made in copper-nickel clad proofs, for the regular annual proof sets made in 1975 and 1976; those sets also have the penny, nickel, and dime.)

The ordinary circulation issues were all in copper-nickel clad and were minted between July 4, 1975 and December 31, 1976. (To avoid creating a rare date the Mint feared would be hoarded, no quarters, half dollars, or dollars were ever dated 1975. These coins that were minted between January 1, 1974 and July 3, 1975 were all dated 1974.)

All silver bicentennial coinage was minted in San Francisco (as well as the clad proofs). Normal intended for circulation clad bicentennial coins were minted in Denver and Philadelphia.

bruthajoe and ripple like this.
  19. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime?

20. ripple

ripple Active Member

Thanks for that information @Troodon. I’m pretty sure mine is the business strike but I’m going to get it out tomorrow to be sure. Again, thanks as I certainly didn’t know the rest of that info in your post.

21. bruthajoe

Right. Must be listing error otherwise the slab would state silver since there are not supposed to be any in '74. Thanks.

Troodon and ripple like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted