1974-S LMC Mintmark Question

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SorenCoins, Aug 16, 2020.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I recently found a 1974-S business strike Lincoln cent in a roll. I believe it was the small date variety, with the MMS-009 "blob" mintmark. I noticed that it had what appeared to be a split serif on the top left of the mintmark. Now, I found an interesting article on VarietyVista: "The Mystery of the 1974-S Mintmark Punch" where it seems to be found that this was damage from using the old mintmark punch. Is this the general consensus? I would assume that it would be difficult to differentiate this damage from the 1974S-1MM-001 Coppercoins listing, or might these be the same? Are any S mintmarks on the 1974-S Lincoln cent with a split serif the result of a damaged mintmark punch or can there truly be an RPM for this date?

Curious to see all of your thoughts on this. I will try to get a picture of the MM on my 1974-S cent that sparked all of this.

SorenCoins.

Danomite likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

1974 is an interesting year in LMCs. Thick date ODV-030 and thin date ODV-031. There are also two mint marks, MM-008 and MM-009. I also read somewhere else the same conclusion that you linked to. I think that it would be difficult to confirm a minor RPM for the MM-009 due to its changing condition during its use in 1974. I would suspect a RPM for the MM-008 would be easier to confirm.

SorenCoins likes this.
  4. SorenCoins

Well, that is very interesting. Obviously quite a lot was going on that year. I appreciate your response! I still haven't taken a picture of it yet. I might have to look for other 1974-S LMCs I have around (if I have any others) and check if they also have this split serif. I have heard of the change in condition throughout the year. I saw a picture somewhere that really showed the development.

Danomite likes this.
  5. Danomite

SorenCoins likes this.
  6. SorenCoins

I saw that page too! It had some good info and nice pictures on there. I think that saving all the 1974-PDS cents is a good idea actually! I think I will start doing it too! I just started coin and roll hunting for the first time in a while, and I had forgotten a lot of my knowledge about where to look and what to keep. I appreciate all of your thoughts! It has been fun as I have been working my way back up to where I was! I think there was only one 1974 in this whole batch, but there are still 2 cent rolls I have not opened yet!

Danomite likes this.
  7. SorenCoins

I took some pictures of the MM tonight! There appears to be a split serif on the top left of the S mintmark. I took two photos. One is darker and clearer (Photo #1), and one is a little brighter to hopefully show the contrast (Photo #2). I also will attach a picture with a red circle around where I think I see splitting (Photo #1.2). Just curious on your thoughts.

Photo #1:
    IMG_5932.jpg
    Photo #1.2:
    IMG_5934.jpg
    Photo #2:
    IMG_5933.jpg

I could be mistaken that it is MMS-009, but it sure seems like it. If it is hard to make anything of the splitting I will start a pile of 1974-PDS cents for the same reason you are!

Danomite likes this.
  8. SorenCoins

@Danomite not sure if you saw this yet.

Danomite likes this.
  9. Danomite

I missed this for some reason. Thanks for the shoutout! It looks like a MMS-009 to me also. The best way to confirm that it is MMS-009 is by the obverse design. The -009 is only listed as used on the ODV-031 on business strikes. With that said, it would take someone way more knowledgeable than me to determine if yours is a RPM or just stage in the deterioration of the mint mark punch. You might contact Wexler. He is a really nice guy.

SorenCoins likes this.
  10. SorenCoins

I figured, sometimes I miss alerts too! You also have actually shown interest in some of the discussion on this thread so I figured I would let you know so you didn't think I left you hanging without a picture!

I appreciate your reminding me of that fact! I do believe it is ODV-031 or "small date" based on the interior triangle of the 4 in the date. Messaging Wexler is a good idea, as he is really nice and has responded to me in years past when I was younger and less experienced, especially when it came to taking good pictures! Ha!

Glad to know I am not seeing separation that isn't there, but it's up to the experts to see what it really is.

Danomite likes this.
  11. Danomite

I always enjoy an in depth look at varieties. Let us know what you find out. I would like to learn more about this date and mint mark!

SorenCoins likes this.
  12. SorenCoins

Absolutely. I will let you know if I learn more about it! I am glad someone else shares my interest in it.

Danomite likes this.
  13. Danomite

I’m glad I’m not alone!!! This is (IMHO) an under appreciated series.

SorenCoins likes this.
  14. SorenCoins

1974-PDS alone or Lincoln Memorial Cents?

Either way, I agree with both! Glad I am not alone either!!! :)

Danomite likes this.
  15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

In regards to the 74 PDS, there are an equal amount of small dates and large dates.
    So of course if you are a variety collector, it's an easy set. But there's no premium.
    Here is the page from the Lincoln Cent Resource:
    http://www.lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1974.html

SorenCoins and Danomite like this.
  16. Danomite

Both. 1974 PDS is really an under appreciated variety. It’s just as unique (or even more so) as 1960 P and D, 1970 S, 1979 S, and 1980 S. It just wasn’t hyped as much. I’ve found that typically LWCs and LMCs are considered as a newbie or YN series by many. :( JMHO

SorenCoins likes this.
  17. SorenCoins

Interesting. No premium but probably fascinating to see!
    I think that's absolutely true. Obviously some really interesting things were going on at the mint during this time, and during the other years you mentioned. I've somewhat noticed that LWCs and LMCs are sometimes associated as introductory series, too. I don't think it's true, since both of those series contain a lot of enjoyment and wonder, especially when you can study things in-detail that came out of your pocket. Two of my favorite series honestly.

Danomite likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted