1974 S Eisenhower Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by love old coins, May 30, 2021.

1. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

This coin, like many others I have, was given to me. I'm concerned about leaving it in it's packaging because I believe it leaves it wide open for damage. Should I take it out of it's cello packaging and put it in a coin flip or Air-Tite?

Attached Files:

Eric the Red likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Just my opinion. I would transfer it to an Air-tite holder if it were mine . :happy:

Andy and love old coins like this.
  4. love old coins

@SensibleSal66 Thanks Sal; I completely agree. My next question is, how do I prove that it's a Proof? (I'm trying to document things in my collection so that when I'm long gone, my daughter will have everything she needs.)

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Need to see it out of the plastic I guess first of all.

love old coins likes this.
  6. love old coins

I'll do that later today and get back with you...as always, I appreciate your guidance!

7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

It is only packaging from Littleton. Put it in a holder, the S mintmark, the rims and the finish should tell anyone that it is a proof coin.

8. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

The only proofs were S mint marks! No circulation strikes from San Frisco mint! They were struck in two metal compositions, Silver Clad and Copper-Nickel Clad!

9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

You sure about that? I am holding a silver blue ike that is uncirculated with an S mint mark...it wasn't struck for release, but it is not proof and has an S mm.

10. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Just looked in my Red book! I stand corrected!! Silver clad were minted for circulation! My apologies!!

11. love old coins

Okay y'all...here are the pictures, out of the cello pack. I went through at least 10 different shots with different lighting and different photo editors and this was the final result. On the reverse, where the 3 stars are, is not a bubble in the coin, it's apparently some kind of reflection. All the pictures were terrible...flash, no flash, black table, away from or towards the window - AWFUL! I finally put it in the window sill and therein lies the problem, I suppose. I'm so frustrated!!!

Attached Files:

jamor1960 and Razz like this.
  12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Modern proof coins are notoriously hard to photo graph! Looks like the cello package rubbed on the coin in a couple of spots already, good to get it out of that soft pack!

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Well, you've already removed it from the cello, so that takes care of your question.

14. love old coins

Would you elaborate on the part about rubbing the coin so I know what to look for on other coins? I have a lot of coins from Littleton in the batch that was given to me and I would like to prevent any other damage from occurring to any or all of them. Thanks!

15. love old coins

Indeed! I'd like to remove ALL the coins from their Littleton cello paks but I'm a newbie and not sure if that's the right thing to do.

16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I, personally, don't believe that the Littleton package or grade have any value other than they tell you what the coin is. LOL
    I'd remove them as soon as I got them, but that's me.

17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

This field looks like could be from the Littleton packaging. Cant tell for sure from the photos but it doesn't take much
    Polish_20210531_181728829.jpg

love old coins and Eric the Red like this.
  18. love old coins

That's good info and good advice...thanks!

19. love old coins

It's not on the coin when you look at it in person, only shows in the photograph. At any rate, the general consensus is to remove ALL the Littleton coins from their packaging for a few reasons; their grading system could be wrong and their packaging will allow for damage to the coins.

jamor1960 likes this.
  20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The cellophane rubs against the surfaces of the coin, particularly the fields. This creates marks on the coin, especially proofs, with their highly shiny finish. I would take all of those coins out of the bags—they are being destructive to the coin. In many cases, the rub would be sufficient to lower a coin’s grade. In the case of your Ike, there is a noticeable rub in the fields of the reverse.

21. love old coins

Thanks for sharing some of your knowledge with me...like I said in my introduction a couple of months ago...I'm learning a lot from all of y'all!

Morgandude11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted