1974 quarter possible mint error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by saywhy, Jun 10, 2012.

1. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

If this is the only reason for a trip to the mint, please don't waste your time. No one there cares what happens to coins after they leave the mint, and they don't have any control over counterfeit coins.

A trip to the mint is always fun and informative, though.

4. saywhy

saywhy New Member

Over the weekend I had made a appointment to C E Bullowa - Coin Hunter(who is mentioned in PCGS books) here in Philadelphia, they contacted me back on Monday right before I was heading out the door to take the coin to the mint and gave me a appointment for yesterday...I took the quarter in question to them yesterday and after looking at the coin weighing it(5.75g) scoping it measuring it by a couple different people that work for them, one of them I swear had to be 90 years old, told me that the coin is a true US mint coin with no signs of it being plated, dipped, chromed, and no signs of post mint anything done to the coin, and that there is errors on it, one of the errors that could be is the fact that when it was stuck on the back side it bent the coin from the feet to the the edges, but the only place or people that can call that a true error coin would be PCGS or NGC and only them. They told me if I send it to PCGS it should come back as MS-65 or MS-66...They also told me I need to sent it out to have it graded, but honestly no need to I am not looking to sell, my post was never intended to find the value that one places on something, I just wanted to see what it was...And believe it or not my family has a huge old money collection of blue and red seals from the turn of the 1900's, and hundreds of silvers half from the same time period that my father will pass to me when he dies, and I know they are real for the bank yelled at me when I was 10 for taking a blue seal 20.00 in just to get 2 rolls of quarters to play video games, I just wanted something unique to add to the collection so I can pass it to my son when I die...But all in all they placed the quarter in one of their soft thick plastic coin holders, yelled at me for the one I had it in hard plastic with the coin able to move and told me not to touch it again and if I do only on the edges...

I valued every bodies option but I never trust the internet I am smart enough to know that and a word to the wise for the ones who just look at the internet for options it's a good starting place but should never be your final ending place. For one thing that makes no sense to me is if one is known has a coin missing say a leaf it's a error but if one unknown has say a coin missing a leg it's not a error it's call a grease slip or the die was dirty...In my eyes all coins coming from the US mint should look the same and if not then it is a error, and "I" believe the US mint looks at it the same way...Take a coin that isn't 100% correct back to the mint, they call it fake and take it from you for that's not how they intended the coin to be when it came out the mint...I know when the gold color dollars came out with the missing writing on the edges I went to the mint for a tour but I asked about it they thought I had one on me patted me down and threaten to lock me up if I had one and told me how coins should be coming out of the mint...But I never had one I was just wondering if they are valued in the coin world at up to 3k in dollars....So all in all if you believe you have something that is unique send it out to have it graded by the industry leader(PCGS) and only them. As for me I can care less about the value one sets at something for I hold other things dear to me other then money value, as for this coin I have some thing that not to many people have so it makes it unique and good enough for me...And they also told me it wasn't whizzed cleaned buffed it's just tarnishing even around the GW head so that's how I knew it wasn't plated on the edges....All have a good day, and thank you for every bodies help...Off to the next....

5. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Now that is one strange story... I never new the mint evaluated coins or would "pat you down" and "threaten to lock you up" if they thought you were concealing a mint error. Wow...

6. ikandiggit

reread the post..... still something is fishy. Coin definitely looks plated to me.

7. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well, that 90 year old "coin evaluator" working at the mint begs to differ. I'm thinking maybe Doug has a part-time job he's not telling us about.

8. ikandiggit

Could be. We have an organization here in Canada that helps seniors :grandpa: find work as consultants to make them feel useful. More out of compassion than anything else. Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling when you hire them.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

fishy?

yes, and can you say run on sentences.

if they are sentences.

10. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Take the coin to the Mint? For what reason? The Mint does not grade or evaluate possible errors.

If in your eyes that all coins coming from the Mint do not look the same, they are errors, well all coins do NOT look the same. Some are cents, some are dimes, etc.

You have much, VERY much, more to learn about numismatics.

I suggest you start with Red Book: A Guide to United States Coins, by R.S. Yeoman, and pick up some other Whitman Publishing numismatic books to help with your education.

11. saywhy

saywhy New Member

You all need to read... I was talking about the the gold color gw dollars when they came out in 2007 that was missing the writing on the edges...(that's when I took a tour at the mint 2007)(and you all should of knew the year of them coins coming out so there was no need to put it) and take your "error" coins to the US mint and find out what they will do to you call the mint up and ask them can you have them , and that 90 year old is the owner of coin hunter yes the same one in PCGS, let me see what else Oh here is my quote "Over the weekend I had made a appointment to C E Bullowa - Coin Hunter(who is mentioned in PCGS books) here in Philadelphia, they contacted me back on Monday right before I was heading out the door to take the coin to the mint and gave me a appointment for yesterday"...Key word they contacted me back ...."before"....I was going to the mint to drop off as I said I would do...And if you read prior posts here in this thread you will see I was already taking the coin around, to find out what it was...And not one time did any coin person say it was fake but you all...
    But here is some info for the one who said they will not lock you up if you have a error coin, http://www.coinworld.com/articles/u-s-mint-clarifies-ownership-of-error-coins/ The mint sells error coins with paper work no coin coming out of the mint should be error-ed and if is, then it is the property of the US mint once again take you error coin to the mint and find out what they will do to you...If yours have paper work then no need to worry... This quarter I have doesn't it's one that made it through a machine which it shouldn't of, but they know machines make errors, (Sure I could keep it but I wouldn't feel right if it wasn't real, not the fraud you all think I am...)This was done to stop price hikes by coin collectors, and after the US Mint Police got caught taking them 2007 GW out of the mint and selling them.... Have a good day...

12. ikandiggit

What???

Please use punctuation. Periods help end sentences. It's extremely difficult to read what you've posted.

Also note, a lot of the collectors here know what they are talking about. In regards to your coin, this isn't the first plated coin seen here. If you believe it to be an actual error, then have it certified.

I'm going to stand by my assessment (based on the photos) that it is plated.

13. BUncirculated

Okay.

I think we ALL understand you now saywhy!

14. BUncirculated

+1

Definitely plated. Worth $.25.

Next!

15. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

So many words to make so little sense.

16. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Are you a family member of Detecto?!?!?!? (just messing with you Detecto..all in good fun!)

17. saywhy

saywhy New Member

Back from the mint....Part right, if it's a know stolen coin out of the mint like the 2007 GW then any and all coins of them types are considered to be stole and if you are in possession of the 2007 GW then it is considered to be stolen if you find it or not in lose change, but if it's not a known type of coin that was stolen out of the mint and it's error you are allowed to have it...So in short the way the mint told me and the mint police who didn't wish that me record him said If it's a know stolen coin type out of the mint they must be returned cause one can not prove it to be stolen, as for the quarter the mint told me it is a true US minted coin not plated or counterfeit for three of their workers held it looked at it and told me that I still have the quarter in my pocket, they told me if they believe it to be fake, or counterfitted they would have to get the mint police and they would have to take it from me...They also told me that Phila mint is the mint where the dies are produced and they have to test run each die before shipping them out to their respected mints and there is a great chance it was stamped on the silver bi and they opened the red book up and the quarter with the same weight is the is the silver clad bi at 5.75 which is only 20% silver the rest copper...Jeremy one of the shop staffs told me I should sent it out to PCGS to have it graded as coin hunters did, and he told me about the coin show here in Philadelphia from Aug 7-11 and told me I need to take it there, oh he also gave me another number for one of the mints head people that knows a lot about their mistakes...Which one of you all experts are willing to call Jeremy at Philadelphia United States Mint and ask him did he see a quarter today...Come on which one of you are willing to call and make that call...

18. saywhy

saywhy New Member

And I give you that much respect based on photos as for the 3 dots that is true typing sorry you didn't know here is the def for you...

Ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, "omission" or "falling short") is a series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word, sentence or whole section from the original text being quoted. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence (aposiopesis), example: "But I thought he was . . ." When placed at the beginning or end of a sentence, the ellipsis can also inspire a feeling of melancholy or longing. The ellipsis calls for a slight pause in speech or any other form of text, but it is incorrect to use ellipses solely to indicate a pause in speech.

So please do not act like I am doing some thing wrong...For I am not doing that, but I respect the fact you are going off of photos but I have stated the photo's doesn't do any thing for the coin...And why would I lie about some thing I never tried to say I wanted to sell? I was trying to find out what it was, and that was it...

19. saywhy

saywhy New Member

But thank you all for your help I will see you at the coin show in Aug...No more need for me to reply to this post for I found out my answer today from the source that the coin isn't fake...Everybody have a good day...

20. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Other than incorrectly substituting "ellipses" for periods, I was able to decipher your comments. Good luck with your coin at the Philly show.

21. froggycoins

froggycoins Member

I was not aware you have got a "mint police" ( as mentioned by the OP ) in the US :)

Draft saved Draft deleted