1974 quarter possible mint error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by saywhy, Jun 10, 2012.

1. saywhy

saywhy New Member

Hello coin world, sorry to post this in another forum but the forum http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120988 it is posted in, they asked me to check with Mr Mike Diamiond and I know he is a member here.

It is a 1974 quarter no mint mark silver in color tarnishing yellow possible dd in the trust on the front and missing right foot on the back, possible dd in the E Pluribus Unum with fatter letters then normal. The edge shows no copper. There is a bend in the back middle that stretches from the middle to the 2 sides.The same height and size as a normal quarter. The weight of it is 5.75 grams it was taken to 2 different jewelers for the weight. I know there is some fake 1974 silver quarters but they weigh less then the normal quarter or way more then a normal quarter.

History of they 1974 quarter that I have found. In December of 1974 the US mint asked congress to keep producing the 1974 quarter until the 1975 bi quarter was produced. This is why there is no 1975 quarter. So the 1974 quarter was being printed in 1975. The normal 1975 1776-1976 bi weighs 5.63 grams while the silver clad 1776-1976 bi weighs 5.75 grams. It is not a proof quarter for the proof quarter heads are different and no mint mark suggest Philadelphia mint, but it is common that mint marks don't become stamped on coins. It doesn't look post mint for there is fine details on it, and it doesn't look dipped because of the same reason.

It's hard to get good pictures of it for it reflects everything one picture I took it was reflecting green from a trees that was more then 30 foot away, or if I try holding the camera over it, it reflects the color of my clothes, so it's really nerve racking trying to get good picture...

I had found the quarter in a change machine so it made it past the banks coin counter, about a year and a half ago, I have kept it in a plastic case ever since...

Would the Philadelphia mint made a test run of the 1975 silver clad bi's seeing they are the head mint and just trashed them and by mistake left the role for the bi's in the press? If so they would of trashed the mistake too right, but what if a few got caught in the machine and pushed out while making the normal quarter which could happen like any other production line...Or could the San Fran mint made the mistake and mint mark did show?

I did take it to a jeweler yesterday that sells coins( The quick flip older gold coins) he told me that's not his area but something doesn't look right and to have it graded...

I haven't done the gravity test on it yet, I need to go buy a gram scale, but not fully understanding the test for you weigh it dry then wet, does a fake coins soak up water is my question? But I have weighed it as I have stated it is true on weight...I also did a ice cube test don't know if I should of but it cuts through a ice cube in the matter of seconds, which only silver will, cause of the high heat conductor... I am not saying it's silver, but it was a test I have done.

As for the word plated scares me, but one must also understand that silver clad is plated which the mint does..Once again I don't know if it's post mint or true.

Mr Mike Diamiond would you be willing to look this coin over so myself and many others can know the true answer, as for the rest of the coin world

I would also value your option as well...

I tried adding the pictures here it told me I couldn't so here is a off site link

Pictures: https://www.blockhuggers.com/en/usa-money-errors
    Video: https://www.blockhuggers.com/en/news/blockhugger-updates/16-1974-quarter

I am also willing to mail it to you Mr Mike Diamiond if you really wish to look it over...

Thanks all for your time...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

4. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

5. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Please remove the html tags in your post so one can actually read your message with ease.

6. saywhy

saywhy New Member

Sorry it done it when I click to to post in coin world...Coin World kicked me out while it was posting I corrected it

7. rickmp

I'd be inclined to say your quarter is electroplated.
    To my knowledge, no US coin, except the post 1982 cent, was ever issued in a plated condition. Any coin that has been plated was plated after it left the mint.
    Clad is not the same as plated. Clad is a sandwich of different metals that are pressed together under enormous pressure.

8. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

And also I might add to stop putting fingerprints on your coin by holding it on the face/reverse. Hold it by the edges only...

:)

9. saywhy

saywhy New Member

Weight from both jewelers is 5.75g two different jewelers two different parts of the city, pictures of the coin is there in a link for I had problems posting, sorry with a side by side shot of a 1982 quarter it was the closest I had of the year that was in question...And I will stop holding it the way I do thank you for that info...I will retake the pictures if needed, I don't know how you all get them close up beautiful pictures of coins I have a nikon but someone asked in another forum to use the micro setting mine doesn't have micro, it has close up I am guessing that's the same but give me a couple mins and I will retake and add them here so it's in the post...
    And thank you for your interest

10. rickmp

The macro setting is usually designated by a flower.

11. saywhy

saywhy New Member

It had two flowers but every time I went to do close up it wouldn't go into focus I don't know if it's the glare but I have a hd camcorder as well I used it but here are some picture front back side with a 1981 quarter and a 2002 quarter front and back just to show the difference
    1974  front.jpg 1974 left side.jpg
    1974 back.jpg 1972 front with 81 and 02.jpg 1974 back with 02 and 81.jpg

Hope these help some and sorry they was off site before....

12. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I am not an expert but the photo look like its been whizzed/Cleaned.
    or a Bu coin just spent.??

13. saywhy

saywhy New Member

I don't follow you the photo looks whizzed/clean, if you are saying I done some thing to the photo, that's just dead wrong, I am here only because another forum asked me to check with
    Mr Mike Diamiond which is a member of this forum and who make reg post...Also if it was fixed why would I even ask Mr Mike Diamiond if I can send it out to him and have him check it...I was asking for help but now I am being called a fraud and a liar here, thanks....And one more thing I don't know what a bu is I know nothing about coins....

14. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Either electro plated for just a countefeit is what I say. The back doen't look right to me.

15. saywhy

saywhy New Member

I don't know if it is it but I am going to send it to PCGS for looking at their coins in their coin section there is a 1974 quarter no mint mark called a type 2 clad MS67 value is 600.00, the pictures look like it but I don't know for sure I know nothing about coins I normally give them to the homeless here in Philadelphia as I exit stores but that one I kept cause it didn't look right....

PCGS# 5893

[TABLE="class: details-table-2"]

PCGS Price Guide6364656667686970
    [TD="align: left"]1974 25C[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]55[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]600[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]0[/TD]
    [/TABLE]

[TD="width: 45px"]SERIES:[/TD]

[TD="width: 45px"]LEVEL:[/TD]

Washington Quarters 1965 - 1998
    Year, MintMark, & Major Variety
    [h=2]1974 25C (Regular Strike)[/h] View All Coin Images

[TD="colspan: 3, align: center"] [/TD]

[TD="width: 454px, colspan: 2, align: center"] [​IMG] PCGS MS66 [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]

[TD="align: center"] [​IMG] PCGS MS64
    [/TD]

[TD="align: center"] [​IMG] PCGS MS64 [/TD]
    [/TD]
    PCGS #:5893Diameter:24.30 millimetersMintage:801,456,000 Designer:John Flanagan Weight:
    Edge:Reeded Metal Content:75% Copper, 25% Nickel over a pure Copper center

[TD="width: 40px, align: right"] [​IMG] [/TD]
    [TD="width: *, bgcolor: #F0F0F0"] Show All Related Coins and Varieties [/TD]

[TABLE="class: details-table-1"]
    [TR="class: head"]
    Rarity and Survival Estimates (Explain) [/TR]
    [TR="class: sub-head"]
    Grades Survival
    Estimate [​IMG] Numismatic
    Rarity [​IMG] Relative Rarity
    By Type [​IMG] Relative Rarity
    By Series [​IMG] [/TR]

All Grades
    1 / 61 TIE
    1 / 64 TIE

60 or Better
    3 / 61 TIE
    4 / 64 TIE

65 or Better
    6 / 61 TIE
    7 / 64 TIE
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE="class: details-table-2, width: 100%"]

View by Grade
    PCGS Price Guide6364656667686970
    [TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]55[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]600[/TD]

[TD="align: left"]1974 25C +[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]90[/TD]

PCGS Pop Report6364656667686970
    [TD="align: right"]10[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]54[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]121[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]164[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]26[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]–[/TD]

[TD="align: left"]1974 25C +[/TD]
    [/TABLE]

16. saywhy

saywhy New Member

And no my pictures are not whizzed what is a type 2 clad can someone help me?

17. TexasTwister

TexasTwister Member

jello is not saying your pics are whizzed, just that the coin appears to be. Google "whizzed coins".

My initial reaction was electroplated because the coin displays an unnatural, mirror-like appearance...BUT...the logical side of me asks "Why would someone electroplate a 1974 Washington?" :confused:

18. saywhy

saywhy New Member

Well for that type 2 clad quarter is valued at 600.00 per PCGS and I see why one would fake it, for that quarter is really not known about...But Mr Diamond has informed me in the started forum of this coin that by looking at the pictures it may seem at least the edges have been plated for the color of the plate job is running on the coin...I wasn't trying to push this coin off as as being real I was just really trying to find out what is going on with it, the other forum was stumped and asked me to ask Mr Diamond I seen he made reg post so I placed it here as well hoping he would take a look He also told me it is post mint so with that being said one can truly say most likely it is fake and I thank you all for looking at this post and interacting in it...And if I ever find that gem in the billions of loose change out there then I will be sure to post it here again...
    Everybody have a good day but at least I am 100% smarter now on quarters then before....

19. saywhy

saywhy New Member

And one last thing I will be taking it to the mint to give it to them to help stop the counterfeit of coins for you all, my gift to the coin world.... Everybody have a good day

20. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

The type 1 Washington quarter is the strike of Silver coinage from 1932 to 1964

The type 2 is the clad strikes used from 1965 - 1998

The type 3 is the BiCentennial issue struck in 1975-76 all dated 1776-1976

Of the types, there are sub types

The Type A is the normal reverse for all the Type 1

The Type B is the proof reverse used on business strikes in the Type 1 series

The Type C is the 1964 issued with the reverse of the Type 2 (clad series)

Yours is a typical coin issued for the date. Weight of coinage is not exact, but within ranges. I believe yous is within range of "normal". It may have been chrome plated ?

I would not spend the money to submit it to PCGS at this time. If you truly feel you have a unique variety or error coin, submit it first to CONECA or Wexler.

21. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I use to ask that same question to many things in general of what and why people do certain things, but then I realized, well, people do strange things for no particular reason, so I stopped asking as it wasted too much of my thinking time in worrying about things that don't directly affect me. ;)

As for the OP, that coin looks plated to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted