1974 Lincoln cent,what's it worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Richard gladfelter, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Richard gladfelter

Richard gladfelter Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Richard gladfelter

Sorry I posted the pics twice,still trying to get the hang of this. I just read how to post pics so I'll do it right next time.

4. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

According to Coinflation, a roll of 50 contains $1.03 worth of copper and zinc, but only if someone is willing to pay that much - on eBay, your single cent might sell for $1.03 :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

By the looks of the obverse, Au at best. Face value.

6. Richard gladfelter

Thank you,it was so bright for a 74,it stood out to me. I understand now about worth,beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.I think I'm going to go do a bunch of reading,information is key here.

Bambam8778 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. Richard gladfelter

8. Richard gladfelter

My 1 year old son grabbed my phone sorry.I saw this same coin somewhere that sold for slot so when I saw it I had to see.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Do you see the areas of concern? along the lapel of the jacket,
    on his shoulder there is a light scratch, and some post mint marks on the cheek? With out those it would be mint state, I think then have a chance at a good grade, it looks very lustrous.

10. Richard gladfelter

So at mint state what would a coin like this be worth,im still reading.

11. Pickin and Grinin

That would have to be an in hand inspection and frankly a TPG's evaluation of the coin. The coins that sell for ridiculous amounts of money are top pop coins. They are full of luster and well struck, without any focal bag damage. Do you have references to Grading coins.
    @physics-fan3.14 has a well written book so I have heard. Haven't bought it yet.

12. Richard gladfelter

Thanks I'll check it out,I feel like a sponge.

13. Richard gladfelter

Someone said the 43 steel I found yesterday was AU 55, I was thinking about getting it graded because it was my first ok find as a new collector on my birthday.what do you think.

14. Pickin and Grinin

Only if you want to remember it,
    It would could be worth the grading fees to you, because of your B day.
    For example: I bought 3 MS66 43S Lincoln's at the ANA show last summer. Paid I think 75$ for all three, and each of them is an RPM.
    To really be worth the grading fees they need to be a MS67 or better.
    Here is one of the 66's IMG_3902.JPG IMG_3903.JPG

15. Richard gladfelter

16. Richard gladfelter

I thinks it nice! Way better then most ive seen.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It is nice, but only worth fifty cents or so, so not worth grading.

18. Richard gladfelter

Can you please explain to me how the coins you purchased were ms66,but the one I found is au55 and it looks better then the one you purchased. Being a rpm doesn't make it grade higher. I'm trying to understand,I know by site alone it is. But i need to know these things and I'm very confused here and need some guidence.if I'm missing something help me get it.

19. Richard gladfelter

Because that obverse is scratch up bad and mine isn't at all and no gauges or rust at all anywhere. If a coin is ms66 and I can clearly see a coin looks better all the way around wouldn't it grade higher?

20. Pickin and Grinin

I might have to try to photo it again showing, the mint state luster that covers the coin. What you see as scratches is actually, the way the coin has toned.

What do you see on your coin that isn't present on the 66 coin?

21. Richard gladfelter

:dead: the S lol, man something so small can escape the eye. I was focused on Lincoln's face. The way it looked was off to me so i focused on that instead of taking Time to look at the whole coin. Thank you,im really trying to slow down and not rush the process.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted