1974 Lincoln cent variations

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GSDykes, Dec 16, 2019.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

I was asked to post this information on the 1974 Lincoln cents. First off, Lange in his work on the Lincoln cents, noted the large and small dates, as well as the altered hair style. He also mentioned a RPM. Thats a beginning. He also mentions that at the beginning of 1974, the mint experimented with aluminum cents. The surviving 1974 aluminum cents are of the large date variety. And the dies (for the aluminum cents) appear to be the model dies used in early 1974. Later the small date dies were created and used extensively up to about 1982. [1] The mint struck its aluminum 1974 cents in October of 1973. The 1975 (and later) cents all relied upon the newer small obverse hubs, this may explain why the hubs were altered in mid-1974. The large date
    hubs may have been designed especially for the aluminum cents, and when Mint did not adopt the metal change, they manufactured the small date hubs.

With about 9 billion P, D and S 1974 cents minted, it is no wonder that they are still common in rolls today. I suspect that more research can uncover more data as concerns die states and other minute variations. So, now for a visual display of some of the common variations seen in the series. First an image of the Smithsonian aluminum sample:
    1974-aluminum-cent-smithsonian-merged.jpg
    As one can see it is of the large date variety, as is the PCGS 1974 D. Note also the increased detail in Lincoln's hair, especially the "curl" just below "we".
    Next is a typical large date circulated copper sample:

Followed with a small date sample:
    date_SM_D.jpg

The S mint marks also present variations, note a side by side comparison below:

sidebyside1_MM.jpg
    The left image shows a "blob" S, the right image shows a "tall" S, with the large date. Hence the S mint mark variations occur on both large and small dates. Neither one is considered rare. All of the proof 1974 S coins, which I have examined display the blob S;

great_proof_1obv.jpg

Also, all the proof samples I have examined show the large date, as above. A repunched mint mark is also seen in the 1974 D: below,

another_RPM_74D8.jpg

This appears identical to the RPM demonstrated in Lange. Felix Schlag's initials (FG) were reduced in 1974, back to their previous size, prior to the larger size introduced in the 1973 issues. The initials all appear of equal size in each of the 1974 samples.
    Lincoln's hair underwent increased detail, yet a "wildhair" as I dubbed it appears on SOME of the 1974 coins. It is a simple curl or loop which extends above the hairline. It is seen just below the "WE" of the motto, observe

Big_74hair12.jpg
    The wild strand is within the black area, the area in the green may indicate a taller head of hair which was abraded (polished away), while lowering the hair design (in some coins) a strand remains, my "wild hair". In all of the 1974 coins, the details of Lincoln's hair are enhanced, more detailed. Over polishing is not rare in the 74 series, note of the reverse of some coins:

Big_74_D_OF_polished.jpg

Below is a better comparison of the over polished hair, and the new enhanced 1974 style: on some coins Lincoln was slightly scalped, leaving the wild strand. Hence this die presents with a variation in the series.

nice_hairl.jpg

And finally, we will see machine doubling, with some samples suggesting a DDR: in particular 1974 P small date.

Small_P_3.jpg

I have reached my 10 image limit.
    Lots of combinations of variations present themselves in the 1974 Lincoln cents. I hope these notes display some of the variations.
    Gary in Washington

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Pickin and Grinin, Kaye and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice presentation. Thanks.

4. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Never paid much attention to the hair. I can contribute some pictures:

1974LincolnPQroll.jpg 1974LincolnPQroll2.jpg 1974LincolnPQrollREV.jpg 1974Dlincoln_MAD.jpg 1974Dlincoln_MADrev.jpg

5. BadThad

Small date

1974SmallDateLincoln2.jpg 1974SmallDateLincoln.jpg 1974SmallDateLincolnREV.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. BadThad

Large date

1974LargeDateLincoln.jpg 1974LargeDateLincolnREV.jpg

GSDykes likes this.
  7. GSDykes

Nice pictures, both small dates and large. Note, you show no wild hair, no DDR or RPMs. These are harder to locate, as are nice circulated S mint marks. Thank you Bad Thad

8. BadThad

These are tough as hell in high grade. Most left the mint beat-up and LDS. As you can tell, I'm a 74 fan too. :)

This coin has an interesting story. I opened an OBW roll (think it was 1999 roll) and this coin was in the middle. It was a WTF moment, all those red, minty fresh 99's and this. Turned out....it was a KEEPER! Did the Coin Gods seed my roll with a target toned rainbow cent?

1974SmallDateLincolnB.jpg 1974SmallDateLincolnB2.jpg 1974SmallDateLincolnBrev.jpg 1974SmallDateLincolnBrev2.jpg

GSDykes and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  9. BadThad

This one came from a mint set - I'm still looking for a better example but they are TOUGH to find. It's not like you can walk into a dealer or a show and look at trays of them in high grade. It takes determination and grit to collect memorial cents.

1974Dlincoln_mintset.jpg 1974Dlincoln_mintsetREV.jpg

10. BadThad

I consider this 74S as the best one I'll probably ever find, worthy of an airtite after looking for years on end. 1974Slincoln.jpg 1974SlincolnREV.jpg

GSDykes likes this.
  11. BadThad

Here's a toner I found in a 74 OBW roll. Perfect, full steps and eye appeal like crazy. It's on my PCGS future list, should hit 67+.

1974LincolnToner.jpg 1974LincolnToner2.jpg 1974LincolnTonerREV.jpg 1974LincolnTonerSTEPS.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    GSDykes likes this.
  12. BadThad

I might have more somewhere....OK, that's enough. LOL

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

14. Pickin and Grinin

15. GSDykes

Nice toners, great eye appeal. I have seen very few toned 1974s

16. Pickin and Grinin

I ran into some 73D jailed and ghost Lincoln's. The early 70's have always been a nemesis.
    They are out there. I have found very few that were still MS but plenty of high AU.

Draft saved Draft deleted